I'm going to SPARY . . . so stand back

I purchased base coat and top coat spray poly yesterday. (Tired of using foam applicators)!!
My workshop has a second floor which is ideal for spraying.
http://www.connoraston.com/cafwimages/workshoppics/big/b_f14.jpg
It gets really warm up there after I put the heat on downstairs. And alot of the dust is below The base coat I'm told has 25% solids in it to help fill the grain. So I intend to lay one coat of this and then hand sand 320g? Then apply two top coats.
The question is - is 320g enough/too much to use to sand between coats? Should I be using 600/800 or more or does it really matter. Anything just to hit the dust spots(And before the guy who always says try it and see). This is why I'm asking the question in the first place! Only kidding.
P.S. The smallest cleaner for the Spary Gun was 25 litres far to much (I'd end up drinking it) can I use White Spirt to clean the gun.
cheers connor.
--
http://www.connoraston.com

Add pictures here
βœ–
Connor Aston wrote:

It depends. Are there big dust nibs?

600/800 will nicely polish larger dust nibs, leaving you shiny dust nibs that are still there. <G> 320 will remove most, big ones may even need 220, if you're sanding them out. I typically use 400 or 0000 steel wool to scuff between coats of varnish.
Runs, drips, and big dust nibs are actually best removed with a sharp scraper (like a $5 US Bauco / Sandvik).
FWIW, Lacquer sprays much nicer than polyurethane varnish, and needs no between coat scuffing to adhere. Since it dries so fast (and in the cold), much less junk sticks in the finish. Many folks choose varnish because they don't have the ability to spray. I find urethane and phenolic varnishes easier to apply with a brush than a spray gun. Even sprayed, the varnish will need to be rubbed out.
In your situation, spraying a few practice parts will be money in the bank.
Have fun, Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Im never using a brush again! This afternoon/tonight i have managed to spary about 8/10 bits of 3/4" MDF aok veneered about 18 x 24 on both sides and a few with two coats thanks barry. I used 600 just to knock off any dust works a treat. Hardly any dust anyway as it seems to dry in 10 mins!! I managed to get a spary gun for about £20 and base and top coat for about £20 each for 5 litres so for this investment I would suggest that if you still using a brush go out and give it a try its amazing thanks for all our help connor
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:37:26 -0000, B a r r y

--
http://www.connoraston.com

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:39:16 +0000 (UTC), "Connor Aston"

I thought so too when I got my sprayer. Even so, some parts are too small to justify getting out the spray gear. Brushing's better for them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
George Max wrote:

For small stuff, I always liked spray bombs. <G>
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Har! Of course, you meant "spray" and first thought that came to mind was a male cat marking it's territory.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Upscale wrote:

enfeebled brain. Sick. sick. sic