I'm going to SPARY . . . so stand back

I purchased base coat and top coat spray poly yesterday. (Tired of using foam applicators)!!

My workshop has a second floor which is ideal for spraying.

gets really warm up there after I put the heat on downstairs. And alot of the dust is below The base coat I'm told has 25% solids in it to help fill the grain. So I intend to lay one coat of this and then hand sand

320g? Then apply two top coats.

The question is - is 320g enough/too much to use to sand between coats? Should I be using 600/800 or more or does it really matter. Anything just to hit the dust spots(And before the guy who always says try it and see). This is why I'm asking the question in the first place! Only kidding.

P.S. The smallest cleaner for the Spary Gun was 25 litres far to much (I'd end up drinking it) can I use White Spirt to clean the gun.

cheers connor.

Reply to
Connor Aston

It depends. Are there big dust nibs?

600/800 will nicely polish larger dust nibs, leaving you shiny dust nibs that are still there. 320 will remove most, big ones may even need 220, if you're sanding them out. I typically use 400 or 0000 steel wool to scuff between coats of varnish.

Runs, drips, and big dust nibs are actually best removed with a sharp scraper (like a $5 US Bauco / Sandvik).

FWIW, Lacquer sprays much nicer than polyurethane varnish, and needs no between coat scuffing to adhere. Since it dries so fast (and in the cold), much less junk sticks in the finish. Many folks choose varnish because they don't have the ability to spray. I find urethane and phenolic varnishes easier to apply with a brush than a spray gun. Even sprayed, the varnish will need to be rubbed out.

In your situation, spraying a few practice parts will be money in the bank.

Have fun, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Har! Of course, you meant "spray" and first thought that came to mind was a male cat marking it's territory.

Reply to
Upscale
220 or 320, no finer

Reply to
Rumpty

That is really sick. It's also the first thought that popped into my enfeebled brain. Sick. sick. sic

Reply to
jo4hn

Reply to
Connor Aston

I thought so too when I got my sprayer. Even so, some parts are too small to justify getting out the spray gear. Brushing's better for them.

Reply to
George Max

For small stuff, I always liked spray bombs.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y