I'm dying to know, what is a/b (e.g 6/4) vs. 2x4

Careful: Your comment about the ride brings back an old memory from when we lived in Coronado, Ca back in '68. My "shop" consisted of whatever I could squirrel away in the apartment, it was hot, and dinner was about a half hour away; not time enough to do anything. So I jumped on my bike and went for a ride along the Strand to National City and back; refreshing, felt good, did me lots of good. We needed bread, said the wife. So off to the local Safeway I went, walking, since it was onlyh a couple blocks away. Long story short: Do NOT stare at guys in suits in alleyways, picking through the garbage cans! D NOT look at them like they are total nut jobs and look away when they look back at you! They called to me three times to stop, and I just kept walking, hastening my step since I was almost to the busy main street. Then I heard "HALT! Or I'll fire!" When I turned to look, he was standing there pointing a pistol directly in my direction but aimed high. Keeping the story short: It was the FBI! The local bank had been robbed. Not really an intelligent thing to do since Coronado is an island! I met the physical description of one of the men. My shirt was as described in their description. I had been alone, on my bike, for the last 45 minutes, and had no one to vouch for my whereabouts. One really does stand nose to nose to question you and the other one back a ways, pistol at the ready. They ask questions like they're firing a shotgun. Back at the bank, the teller said "NO", I wasn't one of them. I was late for dinner and had a rather mad wife for the first few minutes! Woof!
Watch out on those bike rides! ;-)
Pop
And THEN......You can almost throw all this out the window when it comes to construction grade lumber and a few exotic hard woods.

Jim wrote:

Welllll, not exactly. Hardwood boards are graded on the minimum size of clear cutting that can be derived from them, not on the size of the board. There are certain minimums a board must reach for each grade. Your mention of knots is one defect that can lower the clear cutting size, but so can splits, waney edges, and probably more things I don't remember.
And, AFAIK, select is a term that means the board meets FAS standards on one face, but not the other.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

bent wrote:

The quality - FAS, select, #1 common, etc is determined by yield...how much clear wood can be cut from a given piece. Each grade also has certain minimum board dimensions. Here is a link detailing it... http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno 0

Those have nothing to do with quality or sizes...they indicate surfaced 1 side, surfaced 2 sides.
--
dadiOH