I'm dreaming of a white Unisaw.

Page 1 of 2
Wow - I think I'm starting to wig out a little bit. Last night I had an extremely vivid dream that I had just purchased a Unisaw for $1300. I was making some test cuts on it - specifically to see if the fence tape was accurate, and had just finished making some sawdust when I happened to look down at the base. What's this - rust? Egads! Some further investigation revealed that my "brand new $1300 Unisaw with 50 inch Biesemeyer" had mysteriously morphed into a gigantic rusted out hulk of a saw that was made in 1971, (per the newly discovered writing on the side of it.) It didn't even resemble a Unisaw at that point, and man was I bummed that I had somehow purchased a 32yo saw at just a few hundred less than I could have purchased a brand new one!
But, the fact remained ("fact" - har!) that the saw cut *perfectly*, in spite of the rust. Is there a lesson buried here? Do I really just want a new saw b/c it looks good? Is $1300 really too much to spend on used Unisaw? Should I start drinking before I go to bed? Strange....and just *a little* disturbing - albeit entertaining to a degree.
<sigh> Maybe I should just go buy a new one instead of killing myself trying to find a deal.
JP ************************* Gotta love that REM.

From the description, it sounds like that '71 model _was_ right for you.
Thus, your entire message can be described as resulting from a "fit of Pique".
*chortle*
Hang in there Jay, ole Doc Keefer should be along any minute and get you straight.
Paging Dr. Unisar,...... paging Dr. Unisar.... emergency in wRECk room #1....
Bob S.

Bob S. wrote:

He thinks a 30 year old Unisaw is somehow inferior to a Penthair era Unisaw. There is no hope for him.
UA100
and there you have it folks.....he was DOA......;-)

Yeah, but the group's gotta set him straight. That's why he came to us for help!
Renata
wrote:

smart, not dumb for email
Renata wrote:

But first he has to ask for help and before that he has to realize he needs help.
UA100

If I had any idea what you were talking about, I'm sure I'd be offended ! <g>
Is a penthair anything like a c-hair?
JP ***************** Is it ok to buy a saw that's older than me?

Umm no, that is the company that owns Delta, Porter Cable etc.

If it's five-sided, I suppose.
Snip

Yeah... you need to get out more... ;~)

Maybe but if you get a new one, you know that it should work correctly after verify setup measurements and have a warranty to cover you for a few years.

IMHO,, YES, A new one is not much more and many of the compeditors are less.

IMHO it sounds like you really want the new one and may always question whether you should have gotten the new one. If I were considering a used one for $1300, I would definately go with a new one for a few hundred more.

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:31:26 GMT, "Leon"

Yeah - I agree with you. I'm having trouble finding any used cabinet saws for sale at all up here in the Syracuse, NY area to be honest with you. I definitely am holding out and saving my pennies for a top-quality saw, as I'm a die-hard "buy the best and only cry once" believer. (I actually first saw that written in someone's sig line here about 10? years ago.)
JP
Jay,
Also from the Syracuse area and 3 years ago I was hunting for a used uni. Only hits I got were one in Ithaca (dealer $1k) and one in Rochester ($900) - nothing in this area or north or south of here after looking for about 6 months. Went with the Jet JTAS-10 cabinet saw. Although I can't remember the name of the company right now, there is a firm in Cortland that rebuilds industrial machinery and also will regrind tablesaws at a very reasonable price. They have a website and sell used tools (mainly large stuff) but worth trying if I can find the url again. I found them after I bought the Jet....
Bob S.
Jay Pique wrote:

Well if you want a new Unisaw, now's a pretty good time:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM6-841
Get yourself a loaded-up Limited Edition model before they're all gone and you're forced to pay top-dollar for a new X5 model.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

No, Stop.
If I drink before I got to bed, my Crapsman turns into a Unisaw..............
"Orvile" snipped-for-privacy@colubus.rr.com

There can be some magic is a handsaw, hardly in a particular brand of table saw. Frank Morrison
(Aboard The Wrecquod.)
"Captain Ahab," said Tashtego, "that white Unisaur must be the same that some call Moby Dick."
"Aye, aye! it was that accursed white Unisaur that razeed me; made a poor pegging lubber of me for ever and a day!" Then tossing both arms, with measureless imprecations he shouted out: "Aye, aye! and I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up. And this is what ye have shipped for, men! to chase that white Unisaur on both sides of land, and over all sides of earth, till he spouts black blood and rolls fin out. What say ye, men, will ye splice hands on it, now? I think ye do look brave."
"Aye, aye!" shouted the harpooneers and seamen, running closer to the excited old man: "A sharp eye for the white Unisaur; a sharp lance for Moby Dick!"
(Exeunt.)
Damn.
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman

$1300 for a Unisaw, I'll take 2 at that price. Try living in Australia $3500.00