I'm baaaaaaack...

Page 1 of 2
Well the storm "Ikea" left it's mark in Houston and the surrounding areas. Galveston is a mess if you have not seen pictures. We have been with out electricity for 11 days and we have been getting kind grouchy. Fortunately it has been unseasonably cool starting 2 days after the storm. Typically the weather returns to hot immediately after but not this time. We gathered at a neighbors house on their covered deck and drank wine almost every night. I have a few new brands to try out Swingman. My son had to go back to college on Wednesday, my wife went back to work yesterday. Oddly most the public schools started back today. I have been in 4 previous major hurricanes and they all had a common last syllable that sounded like the ones in Carla, Celia, Beulah, Alicia, we almost got Rita 3 years ago almost to the day so I have determined that this storm was not really Ike, rather Ikea. I had just started a kitchen revamp job the week before the storm and having been with out power for 11 days and I am behind schedule. My customer and neighbor 3 doors down was with out electricity for 11 days and is not rushing me. ;~) My 4 most recent fence jobs held up splendidly. Each took the brunt of the north winds and stood unscathed. The last was 75' long and stood 50' away from the nearest structure so it took the total force. Attached older fencing went down on all counts. One of my last customers wants me to put in another 90' or so. Anyway, I'll be cutting thick Maple veneer to resurface the existing kitchen cabinets on my current job. Sample cuts allowed me to easily produce 5, 1/8" thick pieces from 4/4 x 5.5" wide S4S stock with hardly any sign of tooth marks. Resawing with the Laguna BS and a 1-1/4" Resaw King blade allowed me to resaw the 5.5" hard Maple almost as fast as I could push the stock. Following those cuts with a light pass through the drum sander should make this an easy task.

Good to see that you came out of it ok. Just a quick question if I may. I was wondering about the oscillating bit on your Domino. How does it hold up for sharpness? Can they be sharpened or just replaced and have you had to do so in either case?
Thanks.
wrote in message

Thank you sir. The bit screws on and off so that you can change out to other sizes. They have a female thread that goes over a male threaded shaft on the Domino. The bit is carbide and from what I understand can be resharpened on the end. They sell for about or less than a decent spiral carbide router bit. IIRC less than $40. I have cut probably 1200 mortises in various materials including MDF and see no significant reduction in performance. Basically I am not at all concerned about bit life. If you purchase the Domino tennon assortment you get an extra 5mm bit along with an additional 6mm, 8mm, and 10 mm bit. the Domino come with a 5mm as the standard bit.
Leon wrote:

Leon who? <G>
Hey man, WELCOME BAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!

All you have to remember is he's the guy with all the Festools. I'm betting they were one of the first things he secured against possible damage from the storm.
Hell, if I had a Domino, I'd probably sleep with it.
wrote in message

Safely stored about 6' above the floor.

Yeah, I bought a generator back in '02 when Hurricane Elvis blew through Memphis. All I have to worry about now is can I get gas to run it if I need it.
Leon wrote:

My son has a friend at school that was using a generator that was sucking up $100 worth of gas every 3 days. I'll pass. LOL
No, we would just run it for about 3-4 hours out of 12. enough to keep the freezer and fridge cold and a couple of hours at nite to have some lights and fans. It was hot in July when the storm hit!! Power was out for 12 days....
Leon wrote:

"mapdude" wrote

Ditto ... Ran it about three times a day, twice, for a couple/three hours each to keep the fridge/freezer cold, and once a day, when the sun was over the yardarm ... but then only long enough to draw a pitcher of margaritas out of the blender.
Tried to give it to Leon when my power came on first, but he prefers red wine, or a good sour mash whisky.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

No need to boil you guy's choice of emergency beverages!
"Lee Michaels" wrote

No such thing as " ... a boiled concoction that helps you hang on."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

We found that "boiling the ice" did not work out to our satisfaction.

Thas rite, thas rite. I'll have to say that Swingman on several occasions offered everything just short of the world to help us cope. Fortunately we were able to endure. It might have been a bit too much for us all, including the Great Dane to have "moved in" with he, his wife, and Grace. ;~) The big thing last night and this morning was staying awake much past sun down and much past early dawn. Lectricity Lag messes up you biotanical clock.
"Leon" wrote

Hehe ... wouldn't have been a problem. Despite the 100 lb +/- difference in weight, Grace, AKA "The Shop Cat Who Pays Rent" (to listen to her bitching and moaning), could probably whip that big pussy, Mocha, "The Great Dane", into shape for you! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

^5's, dude! Have a margarita and back to work! (Cool that all is well)
^5's, dude! Have a margarita and back to work! (Cool that all is well)
Probably be doing that this weekend. Thanks.
Leon wrote:
Glad you're ok and back on-line!
--
Morris Dovey