I'm an idiot--router table department

So I need to make a half inch rabbet in four pieces of purpleheart.
So I stick the rabbet bit in the router and have at it.
So it turns out a need more like 5/16 of an inch and I don't have a smaller bearing.
So I turn the pieces on edge and run them through with the bit raised a little bit.
So now I have a little 1/16" or thereabouts ridge in the corner that I have to neander out with a chisel.
So the phone rings.
So when I get off the phone I come back and realize that I'm neandering this on top of the router table, which has a 3 horse router in it, a lift, and an Incra jig. DOH. About a minute and a half later it's done.
What I can't figure out is WTF I didn't do it that way to begin with.

LOL.. After the initial DOH.. I find those discoveries very refreshing. Keeps me humble.
J. Clarke wrote:

Sounds like something I'd do. So many toys... so little time.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Maybe if you attached a laser to you router table and....... ;~)
Thanks, now I don't feel so alone... Tom J. Clarke wrote:

That should have been 9/16. Can't add on top of everything else.

Well, look at it this way, if you had used the router to begin with, you probably wouldn't have heard the phone ring.
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 02:27:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

That's what answering machines are for. They let you concentrate on the work at hand.