I'm about to put the roof on an out building, need advice.

I'm using 1/2 plywood at a 5/12 pitch to be shingled. How far should the plywood protrude beyond the facia boards? Some tell me to cut it flush, others say leave a 3/4 overhang all way round.

Depends on what part of the country (or world) your in. Here in Arizona the ply is cut flush then shingle molding (1x2) is added to cover the edge of the ply. Then a drip edge is installed prior to roofing.
If you plan on having gutter, then the 1x2 shingle molding gets in the way and you're better off leaving the ply extended by 3/4". It may also depend on whether the fascia is plumb cut or straight cut and again, where you live.
A lot of help, huh? I think in the end it's totally up to you and the way you want it to look.
Gary
Whatever you do, make the edge waterproof. I've seen much soft pine rot away hnder the drip edge. Sealing the bottom few inches with oil stain or paint is worthwhile. Wilson

In a humid climate I recommend an inch or so. Even with a drip edge molding the morning dew will absorb in to the fascia and eventually rot it.