I just don't get it...

Ok, I must just be getting old, or maybe I was never really quite as sharp as I once thought.

I am putting a simple oak cap on an iron hand rail. Does not seem to be too intricate, but it is currently kickin my butt! I cannot get the pieces to match up after I cut them to fit the return on each end.

When I have the angle just right, the thickness of the wood itself no longer mates up. It's like I would have to trim down the sides of the returns, as they appear thicker than the center piece. The center piece has both ends cut at 90 degrees, and the returns are angled to mate. Should I angle the center piece to half the return angles? Will that make the pieces actually match?

I know, w/o pictures this probably makes no sense, but I am a worse artist than I am a woodworker...

Maybe I would be better off gardening or something

Reply to
Markndawoods

If the returns are 90 degrees to the run then miter both at 45 degrees. If the returns are at some angle other than 90 cut the miter angle of both pieces to half the return angle. To do otherwise will result in what you have encountered.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

You cannot do that. Both matins pieces must be mitered at the exact same angle to match correctly. If you are doing a 90 degree corner mating pieces must be 45 each. If doing a 45 degree angle, both pieces must be

22.5 each.
Reply to
Leon

The center piece has both ends

So are you trying to mate a piece with a straight cut to a piece with a mitre cut?

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

If I am understanding your description correctly - yes. Simple angles running to meet a vertical will not mate properly. Two angles summing to the desired vertical (both the center piece and the angled run) angle will work. But - you have an alternative choice. Take a scrap of the angled pieces you've been trying to make work and cut off some of the bottom of the piece so that it runs true to the base of the center piece. In other words it will create a plane even with the base of the center piece. Make this cut such that the top of the sloped piece properly mates with the top surface of the center piece. Below I've attempted an ascii art depiction of this. Does this even come close to what you're trying to describe?

Reply to
Mike Marlow