I have searched...

for Star tools (previously Enlon?), the Mfg. of my 8" jointer with Copernic Agent, but they seem to have disappeared. I'm in need of the chipbreakers and bolts that retain the blades (too much muscle stripped some threads). Any ideas on how to locate parts or similar parts that will fit? The knives are 1"X1/8"X8". It may be that I have to drill and tap for a larger diameter... I hope not. Tom
Tom, Most any machine shop can make a new set fairly easily. Or, you can Helicoil the original hole.
Dave

Thanks, Dave... that is a good suggestion, but I'd probably drill and tap to replace with SAE hardened bolts first. Tom

<snipped 4 BW>

Dave, can you recommend a supplier of small quantities of helicoils and the like? I occasionally have a need for these to keep some old equipment alive and the large industrial suppliers don't want to deal with a guy who only needs 3...
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm

I can buy them individually, in any local engineering supplier. But I don't, because they need the magic tap to fit them, and that's still expensive. So Helicoils, except in a couple of sizes where I've already acquired the tool, get sent out to a machine shop.
I had these recommended to me lately. I haven't used them personally, but generally the "tube" inserts are a bit easier to install the the "wire coil" type. http://www.timesert.com /
--
Smert' spamionam

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:16:39 +0100, Andy Dingley

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
Most quality auto repair parts houses will sell them in small quanities. Our local chain-type parts houses like Pep-Boys has them as well. A local Snap-On or Mac dealer may have them or should be able to direct to a supplier.
Dave

Dave, thanks. Hadn't thought of auto parts stores but this makes sense. I'll check out our local outlets. Do they carry the taps as well?
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm

Yep!

Most auto parts stores sell "kits" that have the appropriate drill (usually a numbered bit, not fractional), tap, installation tool, and 5 or so helicoils for around $20 (per size). They're in a blue package, IIRC. Then, you buy tubes of refills when necessary.
You really do need the right drill and the installation tool. Don't forget to Loc-Tite the insert in, either.
Mikey
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:53:19 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.motorola.com wrote:

Thanks, this is just what I need.
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
Any brick-and-mortar places around? There were/are only three or four foundries in Taiwan making such, bet you could fit some other brand into the slots.

Copernic
not.
Thanks for your reply, George... Ya' got me. "Brick and mortar" places? I was thinking the same thing about similar machines... any names or links? TIA, Tom

<snipped 4 BW>
A place which exists not just an internet drop shipper, where you can take the old pieces in and compare to new. Yellows under tools, I guess.
Be sure and buy the replacements there, too.

Duh! I should'a made the connection... Unfortunately there are none close to Englewood, nearest is Woodcraft in St. Pete. As I progressed farther into this maintenance it became apparent that my memory isn't what it was... I had cleaned and replaced the carbide tipped knives all within a thousandth then realized I had to shim the outfeed table to make it co-planar :>(. Now I get the joy of re doing all the knives again! Ah well, better with practice. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Tom Maker of Fine sawdust and Thin Shavings

<snipped 4 BW>
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:52:00 -0400, "Thomas Bunetta"

Star has been gone for some time. I would have guessed ten years, but that may be a little overstated. It's certainly more than five.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I think I bought it 6-8 years ago (my how time flys FASTER with age :>(. Tom