I have figured out...

How to tame set designers with a penchant for the very grand...
I just tell the director that it will cost 1.5 times his entire budget and there will be no money left to put furniture on the set or put costumes on his actors.
It worked a treat. Now I have a set desigin that won't take a month to build and wont cost the earth either.
Mekon

Ahh, but laddie ye've blown your reputation as a miracle worker.