I have a 50 inch Unifence?

So I'm assembling my new Unisaw that comes with the extension table and 50" Unifence and I start to looking at the fence. It doesn't look like it is 50" long. I get out the tape measure and sure enough it isn't. It's only 43" long. Is this another of those industry standard things like a 2x4 isn't really 2 inches by 4 inches?

I don't understand where the 50" measurement comes from. Can someone enlighten me?

I have tried searching for tips on setting up my saw. I found great tips on getting the blade aligned with the miter slots but nothing for the Unifence itself. Any suggestions?

(This is my first table saw. I been using a radial arm saw for years for cross cutting as well as ripping.)

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jegan
50" rip from blade.

You only need a "fence" long enough to go from front rail to back rail. The longer "rails" allow you to rip wider panels than a stock fence and rails.

Since I don't have a unifence, I'd refer you to the manual on how to parallel the fence.

Reply to
Bill

At first glance I thought this was going to be one of those male bragadocio posts.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

go to this link and download the product manual for the unifence.

Mutt

OK, that makes sense.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jegan

Sorry to disappoint you.

-- Jim

Reply to
jegan

Bill answered your question the FENCE itself is not what is bewing measured,,, the 50 inches refers to the distance away from the blade the Fence System allows....50 inches to the right of the blade etc...

That said MOST saw tables are about 27 inches in depth so the fence itself needs to be at least that long plus the distance the rails set in front of the table or in the case of saws that use both front and rear rails... a little longer....BUT you only need the fence to reach a point just behind the front of the blade... Most European fences are the so called short fences that are maybe 18 or so inches long (from memory anyway) My home shop Biesmeyer is about 36 inches in lenght my comercial Biesmeyer is about 6 inches longer or maybe 42 inches in lenght.....

Enjoy the saw... its a pretty good one... lol

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

touchet