I have a 4x8 sheet of that clip board material (hardboard) for a bench top.

This is about 3/16 thick hardboard, the hard as nails oiled stuff I guess. It was recommended for a benchtop. Should I glue it down? It will be on MDF and bounces a bit just laying there. I might need to get it off someday to replace it. Is there any reason to finish this stuff. I was going to give it a coat of Briwax and that's about it.
I would not glue it down -- I'd screw it down with countersunk holes and just make sure I never ran a tool over the screws. My friends who've (ok my friend singular) used hardboard as a bench top don't even finish it -- they just replace it every couple of years....
Jim wrote:

Never Enough Money wrote:

If you do that, use brass screws. They are only more expensive up to the first time you hit one with a chisel, plane blade, drill bit or saw.
--

FF

Jim wrote:

I would not either glue or screw this material down.
Might consider attaching some fiddles out of something like 1x3 material to the sides of the bench that traps the material.
Simple to replace when ever necessary.
Lew
What about hot glue? You can iron it on (if you're really patient). max

I though about that. I screwed it down and waxed it with Briwax. The hardboard is absolutely beautiful now. This is the really dark brown stuff. It looks so nice I hate to work on it. Like brown marble. I'm buying another sheet for my table saw side and outfeed tables.
Jim, you could consider burying the screws under plugs, I have.

I have hardboard on my bench. It is screwed down. It is my second one - the first one lasted about 10 years.
Dick