I hate staining!

why can't they just choose wood the color they want to end up with....

Reply to
bridger

Maybe that want that oak to look 100 years old?

Maybe they have a large library to build that they want to look like cherry or walnut, on a birch plywood budget?

I'm with you about starting with the right wood, but it's not always possible.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

You know, I simply price "stained" the same as the wood that they want to copy. That accomplishes them picking out the correct color wood to start with or builds in more profit for me.

Reply to
Leon

Typically, I *dread* staining. Everything about it. The trepidation: will the color end up what I wanted; did I get all the squeeze out off; will I hit a spot on a board that mottles; will I accidentally dump the stuff on the floor...

Yesterday, on a whim, I tried this stuff:

had used Gel's before - but this stuff seems nicer. I like the color. And it was a breeze to put on and wipe off. Also seemed to dry faster that others - left the pieces in a *cold* garage overnight and in the morning they were dry. No color removal as I added topcoats.

Reply to
patrick conroy

What about grain lifting? Did it lift from the stain and require sanding - this usually affects color somewhat.

TWS

TWS

Actually if you like that brand you might want to try Bartley's Gel Stains also. IIRC Rockler also sells Bartley's. I have been using Bartley's gel stains and varnishes for about 15 years. Typically the stain or varnish can be reapplied in 6 hours. Dry to touch an about 30 minutes if the humidity is moderate.

Reply to
Leon

Typically I think all gel stains are oil based. Oil based products do not raise the grain.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah - have a couple of Bartley's - but in colors that I haven't had a reason to try on anything larger than a sample yet...

Reply to
patrick_ww

Twasn't water based - no grain lifting.

Reply to
patrick_ww

Just reading the description, it seems like the Minwax product that combines the stain and the poly. I can never get that on without leaving gobby drips. Is this better? Different?

Reply to
toller