I hate it when this happens

Page 3 of 3
Ever gone to look for your sandpaper and not have the right grit? So you make a run down to the HW store and pick up $3 worth, that with gas and mileage probably makes it a $5 hit to the wallet. Get home and use the sandpaper and then need some clever place to store it? Inevitably I decide to put it right on top of paper that is the exact grit I was trying to find originally ...
foggytown wrote:

Just mill another piece; the missing piece will then come out of hiding.
When you lose a lit flashlight in a dark, unfurnished room . . .
charlie b
calmly ranted:

Hey, just lay down and play "snow angel" for awhile. You'll find it.
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
You know, Rod Serling could have made a couple of episodes out of this thread.
And remember one of the wrecker life's axioms:
"If you lose a tool, chances are 7 to 3 it will be part of a set."
And that REALLY frosts my cookies. If I lose, say, one drill from a set I can't rest until I replace it. A set of anything with a hole in it is so-o-o-o-o-o irritating. Like a big smile from Raquel Welch with one of her front teeth missing.
<Maybe my therapist was right!> FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

=====================You have any 10-15 year old sons....?
Mine used a lot of my ..too good to throw away but not needed Stuff ...at that age...unfortunately they switched to tools when they turned 16 and got their "wheels"....
Bob Griffiths
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:30:04 -0500, Bob G.

There's something kind of gut-wrenching about finding a 3' piece of surfaced 1x8 white oak with a couple dozen 16d nails through it into an old 4x4 to make an "airplane".
Raising kids costs a lot more than money...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I remember breaking off chisel tips when using them to open paint cans. At six years old, using a screwdriver didn't appeal to me somehow. I remember the time my father lined an entire wall in the basement with custom built shelves and sliding drawers. One day I "decorated" them extensively with a few writing utensils. And then there was the three level clubhouse I built in the backyard. It towered above all the fences and dividing bushes in all the backyards in the block. It must have been the most tremendous eyesore, yet I don't remember my father once getting angry at any time for any of these things. At least he didn't show it.
It was only a number of years later that I realized that I must have been a major contributor to the gastric ulcer he endured all those years.

I was about 4 when dad, in his spare time, was building the house I grew up in. Dad would sometimes have to keep me while he was working on the house so he found ways to keep me busy. One was to give me a 2x4, some 10 penny nails and a hammer and send into the back yard. Well, first I got into trouble for pounding the nails into the ground because that went much faster than trying to pound them into the 2x4. But later, after watching him nail in all the maple flooring, I decided to emulate him. I put a row of about 9 10 penny nails about 1/4" or so deep into the nicely & newly finished maple hallway floor. Mind you, I don't remember any of this. Knowing my dad he had to be a little mad at the time, but he loved to tell the story over the next 35 years.
Dave Hall

Your father must have been a man of rare patience and temperament.

Medical science now tells us that the majority of ulcers are caused by a bacteria (Helicobacter pylori), so you don't have to feel any guilt about that.
--
Hank Gillette

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps he was one of those people who can put possessions and material things in perspective: a 6-yr old's mistake was just that, and the damage was repairable.