I hate it when this happens

Page 1 of 3
Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second thing to go is the memory.
FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."
Wed, Dec 8, 2004, 1:29am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (foggytown) says: Anyone want to tell me how a 4 foot length of 1 X 6 T&G can go missing in a shed that is only 10 X 12? I spent three hours milling it two weeks ago and now when I need it - POOF! Well, they say the second thing to go is the memory.
You must have kids. Check your local pest control, maybe they can spray.
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
foggytown wrote:

missing
Wood Elves. Pesky little creatures. Sneak up at night and steal your wood. Especially active during Xmas season. If you see these do not approach them they are extremely Dangerous instaed Call 1-800 Get-Santa. Other problem may be new species of termites that have evolved (due to environmental polution or other stuff) into larger more voratious pests that leave no sawdust or trace.

he . . he . . he! Must have gone the same place my drawer front went. Made 3 new drawer fronts to go on 3 new drawers for on-going kitchen fixup, had to back away for a while, and now I can only find 2 of them!
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
"foggytown" wrote in message

LOL ... you do remember that 24" caul you cut off that funny looking 1 X 6, doncha?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

So long as it is before you sip!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
TJ wrote:

All of this advice was really good. I dropped the outfeed table by approx. 1/16" and took much less (~1/32") wood off each pass. This seems to help quite a bit. Thanks to all for their invaluable help!
TJ
TJ responds:

You dropped the outfeed table to reduce the cut? I missed the start here, so maybe there IS a reason, but for 50 years now, I've raised the infeed table to reduce the cut on any jointer.
Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, I saw that, too...
Unless it was way too high before, that isn't the way--at least if the object is to get straight edge for glue joint, etc. The outfeed table should be set initially at precisely the height of the knives when they're at TDC (top dead center). The knives also should be checked to ensure they are both precisely parallel to the table and uniform in height. Then, if there's a slight concavity or convexity to the jointed edge, adjust the outfeed table <slightly> for this--but it shouldn't take more than a few thou, nothing approaching 1/16".
HTH...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

...about aligning rear jointer table w/ knives...
Of course, all the above assumes the two tables are parallel w/ each other in both planes as well as flat...
Swingman wrote:

You too?
"Nova" wrote in message

6,
More times than I care to think about ... or is that remember?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:27:19 GMT, "Robert A. Gramza"
Ttwo twelve inch steel rules and a tape measure please.

I now have 7 tape measures in my garage/shop. Even at that, there is NEVER one within reach when I need it.
Wayne

I have TWO identical MAKITA belt sanders. I 'lost' one in my small shop, and finally decided one of my thieving neighbors stole it and bought another. A month later I decided it was time to clean up the planer corner. Under the shavings was my belt sander.
I'm considering cutting back on the diet soda.:)
I have found the only way to have a "marking device" anywhere in my shop:
(1) Go to Office Depot and buy case(s) of pencils.
(2) Walk through shop and lay two or more on every flat surface in shop.
(3) Stand at one end of shop and throw large groups of pencils in all directions.
(4) Go to other end of shop and repeat step (3).
(5) Repeat process about once a month.
The same process is used for tape measures.
NoOne N Particular wrote:

    Greetings and Salutations....
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:41:14 GMT, Pat Barber

    Interestingly enough, it seems to be a contest between the woodworker and the inanimate objects.     For example....A few months ago, I bought a case of 500 carpenter's pencils off Ebay, as I was tired of buying them one at a time every week or two at Home Depot. Well, about three days after I put the box of pencils in the shop, about half a dozen of the other, missing pencils surfaced. It's not like I cleaned house either...they just appeared, laying on tool surfaces, sawdust piles, etc...exactly as if they had seen the case of pencils, and given up the game of hide-and-seek.     FWIW, there are few odors more pleasant than the one I got when opening that box the first time. The waft of combined Cedar, graphite and paint was just a great and enjoyable experience.     Regards     Dave Mundt
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:41:14 GMT, Pat Barber

I love it!
BUT, don't you often find lots of leaded tools in your ol' dust collector trash can separator when you empty it?
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development