i guess you can have too many clamps

you can have too many clamps
http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg
On 10/5/2015 4:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Nope, that proves you can never have tooooo many... :-) just picked up 2 myself this weekend at a garage sale. 2 Beefy F clamps that you can park a tank on. Very old style. NICE.
--
Jeff

On 10/5/2015 4:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I recognize at least two types in the photo, both cheap. The blue-handled ones are Harbor Freight. People say the molded-on handles come loose if you tighten them too hard. I haven't had that problem yet, and seem to get adequate tightness.
The others, the ones with black jaws and wooden handles, make the HF models look like Jorgensens. They are Ebay specials that are really crap. I have a few of the 18" and have used them. But they are not long for this world.
email.me:

I sure hope that's some sort of school, and each of those assemblies was clamped up by a different person. Otherwise, what a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome.

Yeah, I have a couple of those too - could have sworn they came from Harbor Freight. They stay way in the back, for those emergency "need just one more clamp" situations.
John
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 01:37:24 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Ya, me too. I have some of the aluminum rail HF clamps I've kept for the same reason. For the money that all those HF clamps cost, he could have bought some decent clamps and not spent a day tightening clamps.
On 10/5/2015 11:24 PM, krw wrote:

I have both the aluminum and the F HF clamps. The new HF F clamps are not the same as the original. The original the jaws lined up,, and the handles did not spin out. The aluminum ones were very nice compared to the Jets. The jet was annodized red, but they bent really easily. The HF from late 90s are thicker than the jets.
Like everything else, I use them in the proper places.
I would use my heavy duty F's when I need them or the many parallel jaw clamps when they are needed.
So each has it's place.
--
Jeff

I haven't broken any handles but with any pressure at all, they twist. They're next to useless.

The jaws are brittle and porous. I've broken the jaws off more than one. I can't trust them when the glue's wet, anymore.

They hang on the wall because throwing them away would cost too much. ;-)

You can come and take all of my HF clamps.
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:17:29 -0700, Electric Comet

Looks like they ran out of clamps as they still have open floor space.
On 10/5/2015 3:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

I think I proved that here. ;~)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/20519288345/in/dateposted-public/

Nah, that just shows that you need Festool saw horses. ;-)
On 10/6/2015 9:49 AM, krw wrote:

Well I did upgrade from Stanley, the brand that quit, to DeWalt, with steel legs. ;~)
On 10/6/2015 9:00 AM, Leon wrote:

That's pretty good if you only count quality, fancy-pants clamps. :)
But even a piker like me can apply enough clamps (of widely varying quality) to obscure the project:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/8690959308/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/15877916108/in/album-72157644207411490/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/13676790514/in/album-72157641733510634/
On 10/6/2015 10:29 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

LOL, before the picture focused I thought you had posted another one of "my" glue-ups.

I still have a lot of those stile clamps.
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 3:17:35 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

Heresy, I say !!! Pure and blatant heresy. LOL
As Woodchucker said, having too many clamps is an impossibility. Because as sure as you get rid of (or fail to buy) any, you will find yourself one clamp short. ;-)