I gotta stop doing this - Push Stick

I just can't seem to stay focused. Start out with a quick and dirty - a push stick in this case - and things just sort of get away. Started out intending to do a 3/4" ply push stick. Am almost done with a sculpted version in either honey or black locust. What was to be a 20 minute project is turning into a major minor project. Have some Padouk pegs to turn, some shaping to refine and probably 10 coats of shellac to apply. Pics in a.b.p.w.

I gotta stop doing this.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

You are the ' Tom Plamann ' of push stick masters ! Matt

Reply to
mattzack2

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:34:19 -0700, charlie b calmly ranted:

Au contraire. Start a new trend. Maloofesque Push Sticks, Ltd. You'll be rich!

------------------------------------------------------------------- Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services There is no try. --Yoda *

Larry Jaques

Willpower. A push stick should be rough enough to grip without giving splinters, sprayed casually with international orange to distinguish it from other scraps in the mess on the floor/bench. Then you don't give a rat's if you run it through and skim some off the sides, or even up the middle when doing thin stuff.

Sculpture ain't my thing.

Reply to
George

it got no rear heel/stop on it . . .

Reply to
SwampBug

Willpower? The "I gotta stop doing this" subject line was tongue in cheek. Since I do this because I like to, not because I have to, I have the luxury of exploring. Since I have 450 bf of the locust, I can take the piece I want out of an 8 footer if I find the grain pattern I like.

This one's for my oldest son. His grandfather was a the prototype of the Jack of All Trades and was, if not a master of all, he was close enough. He was a boatbuilder, custom home builder, furniture maker, tool maker, mechanical genius and a mentor to Tyler. The ridgeboard of the house he and his wife built extended out beyond the roofline and was carved to look like a sea gull's head. Ed set the standard and I'm just trying to keep it going now that he's gone.

With 10 coats of garnet shellac I doubt this thing'll get lost on the bench or floor. Hell, I may just put an earth magnet on each face so it'll stick to the table saw he'll eventually get. MIght even hide them with a thin ebony cap.

And if, at some point this one gets chewed up - well I got plenty more wood. Perhaps I'll make a spare using this one as a pattern.

Sculpture is > You are the ' Tom Plamann ' of push stick masters !

"I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy." he said bowing respectfully.

The Sultan of Swat. The Plamann of Push Sticks? Hmmm.

Larry Jaques wrote:

But then I'd have to do them in walnut?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Charlie... put down the wood and slowly, slowly, back away.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If you will forgive me my newbie-ness, , ,this is the first I have heard of such a configuration. . .but it's kewelll!

Reply to
SwampBug

Sat, Jun 12, 2004, 11:34pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlie=A0b) says: I just can't seem to stay focused.

You been BBQing with sawdust from that imported wood again? And, standing downwind?

A fancy push stick for me would mean it would take at least 4 minutes to make. And, it'd last probably one session of using it. It's purty, but just wouldn't last if I was using it.

JOAT I think, therefore I am. I think.

Reply to
J T

Reply to
Dragon Breath

A simple push stick is just that - a flat stick with a notch in one end that fits over the end of the board - the top of the notch on the top of the board and the bottom of the notch against the back edge of the board. The other end is rounded where you're hand goes to push the board into and passed the table saw blade. Pushes only - no downward pressure on the board.

A better push "stick" is more of a delta or trapezoid on its side. The bottom has a small "foot" at the back to push on the end of the board being ripped while the bottom of the delta applies some downward force on the board while ripping. This type of push stick also keeps your hand up well above the top of the spinning saw blade.

The one I did has a traditional hand saw handle which gives more downward force. The "foot" at the back of the bottom is replaced with a peg that fits a through hole in the bottom of the back of the "push stick". Since the "foot" often gets cut up on thin rips it's handy to be able to replace just the foot rather than the whole stick. Got the idea for the replacable peg "foot" from a recent woodworking magazine.

This thing's a classic example of synthesis - combining existing ideas in a new way (though I'm sure this has been done before - I just haven't seen anything like so it's a new idea to me

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Well the logic was flawless, the execution was immaculate rendering the whole absolutely Imperial!

Reply to
SwampBug

Nice piece of work. It is a show piece? I'd use my fingers first before taking a chance on it. ;)

clutch