I found it in the street.....

Page 3 of 3
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Sort of my plan, but I want to get one of those Defender shotguns in

If that had been me before the age of 18, I wouldn't have been lying.
It's funny how I lost my beer cherry. I was a junior counselor at a foreign language camp. On the night before the campers arrived, we all went out to some restaurant. When the waitress came around, I had to go to the bathroom. I never could have pulled this off if I had been trying, mind you, but the timing was perfect. I came back, and there was a glass of beer sitting in my spot. All the guys I was with were either foreign or college students (I was just out of high school), so they just egged me on. The waitress kept them coming. Never did check my ID.
I got drunk as hell, and then I had to pretend I wasn't, because I only had two or three. I didn't dare let on to anyone that I had never had a beer before. Since I had had far less to drink than everyone else, I got elected to drive everyone back, which I stupidly did. No, nothing bad came of it. Just sad in retrospect that I experienced underaged drinking and drinking and driving on the same night. I definitely do not advocate drinking and driving!!!
That year at camp was fun. We stayed up until dawn every night getting plastered. Never again at a restaurant though.
Silvan wrote:

Sounds a lot like my wife's stories of Latvian camp. Every Latvian I've ever met spills more than I drink and they don't spill much. ARM
Steve Turner wrote:

I want a mini gun.
The whole concept is really no laughing matter though. From the first hint of puberty on to maybe 25 there's only one thing the male of the species is after.
I just have this vision of my little girl coming home, sporting piercings in all the places I'm not supposed to see, a nice tattoo in the small of her back, smoking a Marlboro and telling me "f*ck you, Dad, I'm moving in with Billy."
When she's 12.
<snip>

Look at it this way . . . . . that means 3 weeks of sanity between times!!!!
NOT!!!!!!
Wife & 3 daughters . . . all cycle a little different, so it's normally *somebody* on the bandwagon all the time, but they do occasionally fall into sync about every 1 1/2 or 2 yrs., and then it's time to just *get the H*ll out of Dodge* until the smoke clears. (DAMHIKT)
Nahmie

It's true. Twenty something years ago I herd of a study done in colledge/ university dorms and sorority houses that found females cycles tend to align.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Tim Douglass wrote:

I have one of each, so I get to experience both sides of it. :)
May not be a problem if the boy is a chip off the old block though. I didn't kiss my first girl until I was 19, and that's SWMBO. I didn't give my parents much to worry about in the dating deparment.
<snip>

Total curcumstance . . . The night my oldest girl got engaged, they walked in & there I sit cleaning my 20ga., getting ready for deer season to open in 2 days! Don't think the SIL to-be could figure out just what was going on, and how did I already know about it? Nahmie
I've found innumerable user tools over the years and have a reasonable tool kit in my truck assembled for free. I just bought a new car, so I need to keep my eyes peeled for the "new" tool kit.
One thing I've noticed is that the quality of tools has decreased over the years; more stuff from China and fewer Snap-On tools. Also, the volume of automotive tools seems to be decreasing as cars get more reliable and less repair-friendly.
But I have found two framing hammers in the last couple of months.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

I was on a long drive cross-country and pulled off at a gas station. I found a worm-drive circular saw between two gas pumps. I left, went to eat, and came back. I figured at that point it was mine. After lubing it up and putting a good blade on it, it has served me well. I don't mind beating on the thing too hard because I didn't have to pay for it ;)

Supper
In rec.woodworking

A bench grinder on a stand, a commercial grade wheel barrow, a nice extension ladder, numerous wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers.
I've also found a decent amount of money in parking lots but nothing beats the day I found a folded up $10 bill. Inside it was a $100 :-)
Well, I did find about $600 once but I saw the lady drop it and I chased her down and gave it to her. She was quite grateful, I think it was her Christmas shopping money because it was this time of year.
No word of a lie - a rolling floor jack. Near as I can figure someone changed a tire and forgot to load the jack. Also "found" a very large (as in about a foot in a half) screw driver that managed to "attack" me through the floorpan of a car going down 95. Came about 6" from the important privates. Scary moment. LOL!
I've gotten literally everything that can be produced from the local dump. Absolute truth. Trinitron TVs, fast computers, DVD players, snowblowers, expensive lawn mowers, riding mower, air compressors, a welder, tons of tools, electronics, chainsaws, furniture, books, whatever. And this is all good stuff, not junk. It looks like I spent a fortune on all the stuff around the house.
As far as finding stuff on the road, I haven't gotten anything in a long time. However, I did see a large trucking driving down the highway at 75MPH with a large impact wrench teetering on the rear bumper. Someone probably found a good tool later that day.
GTO(John)
.

Ah, yes. Revives another memory. And it does not qualify as something *I* found. But anyway. My cousin found a sure vocal master PA head in the road one day. Must have dropped out of someone's van. He picked it up and brought it over to band practice (We were in a band together and had a vocal master with the shure columns). It didn't work (Impact "killed" it), but was used for parts. Kind of a semi find - at least until the peavey came along, at which point we gave away the vocal master setup.
I never find anything, but my wife found some good stuff...
a 12V dewalt drill, and a lufkin tape measure.
She spotted both on the side of the road ont the way to our wedding. I'm very proud to say she made her dad stop the car (they were very nearly late) so she could pick the stuff up.
-David
D wrote:

Wow, that qualifies as a gloat for sure. You suck!

Blacksmith's leg vice - St Pauls, Bristol (which is just about the most unlikely place to find such a thing)
Pozidrive screwdriver - whilst standing nest to a broken down car, wondering how to fix the broken water hose without a Pozi screwdriver to get the hose clip off.

A hammer, a buck knife, and a large upright piano.
I didn't take the piano though. If you find yourself on 9W in NY look for it. As you approach Bear Mountain, 9W climbs up the Palisades then back down to the entrance of Harriman Park. On the downhill side, it's off to the right about 40 feet from the road. Can't imagine how it ever got there.
-Chris
I had a St. Bernard who was finding all sorts of things and bring them home to me: Hammers, cresent wrenches, pliers, clothing.
Come to find out he was stealing them from the neighbors so I had to return them, although there were a couple items no one in the community claimed. sdh.
Jim Laumann wrote:

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:26:00 -0500, Steve Hopper wrote:

My friend's father took his dog out for a walk and the dog found a brand new top-line Makita drill/driver under a bush. His father gave it to my friend as he's a plumber and he had use for it.
Friend came into the pub that night and gloated mightily about his good fortune!
As there was no battery or charger with it, the following day he took it down his local hardware shop in order to buy a battery and charger for it. Unfortunately, a couple of days earlier a thief had picked up the drill/driver out of that same shop and done a runner. The shop thus alerted, phoned up the cops and my friend was arrested.
He was taken to court for receiving stolen goods. The court didn't believe his (true) story about the dog having found it (despite testimony from his father) so he ended up being convicted and receiving a hefty fine - much more than what the drill/driver was worth :(
Moral of the story: beware of dogs bearing gifts and I guess I'm lucky because I've never found anything ;)
--

Frank