I found it in the street.....

Page 2 of 3
I worked on a survey crew and spent a lot of time on the street - literally - often dodging cars that couldn't see big orange plastic cones, flagmen with big orange flags and guys wearing bright orange vests. While we were risking life and limb our crew chief would be checking out outside corners of major streets and highways because that's where things fell off of trucks. He had half a garage full of found tools, toys, car parts etc. and probably a half ton of lead tire weights.
Me, I kept one eye on the idiots who kept trying to kill me with their cars. Figured ending the day with all parts in working order was far more valuable than anything that might fall off a passing truck.
charlie b
...my hubcap. It was missing for about 4 months and I found it jammed in the wheel well. It must have come loose on the road, ricocheted off the pavement and back up into the car...
Hey Charlie, I know where you're coming from there. Before I retired, I worked on my county's roads for 30 years. I found a 12 ton hydralic jack, a sheet of plywood, a large ratchet holddown, etc. Joe

Those plastic gas cans, so many I think they procreate. Construction companies, landscrapers lose them. One of those big cooler jugs, the size of a shop vac, comes in handy at the high school football game. Found a boat on the shoulder of the highway once, darn blacktop does a job on the gelcoat after skidding a couple hundred yards......oh yeah, the owner came back for it anyway. Lost a flat tire......my SWMBO didn't think it was any good anymore, "It was flat!" Found an entire Craftsman top tool chest, full of tools, right beside another flat tire. Guess it was too heavy to put back in. And lastly.......found my SWMBO.....she get's lots of flats, and yes I changed it for her. She was impressed with my lug wrench technique.
Dave

David Babcock wrote:

Uh huh... Saw the lovely lady driving that route to work and threw a bunch of nails in the street didja? I'll never tell. :)

- found this in the spring after the snow

Found??? nothing, but have lost:
a Craftsman channel lock with a tooth missing
a 14" adjustable wrench
a 24" Quik Grip
some assorted sockets
a chain binder
several bungy straps
a rusty clamp
& most recently a utility knife
All lost in your area......where did you say you lived?
--
Jon Down
I once lost my spare tire . . . you know, the kind that stores up underneath the back of a pickup. The cable that holds it in place rusted, and the tire must have fell off somewhere. That must have had some scrounger scratching his head.

Lost my spare once too. The cable holding it under the back of the truck simply snapped, and the tire fell off. Weird thing was, I was standing at the kitchen window the next morning (before I realized I had lost the tire) and saw a tire leaned up against my mailbox post. Figuring someone had "dumped" it, I was a bit pissed, and went out to get it so I could bring it to the dump. Discovered it was mine, it had fallen off and rolled into the ditch, and someone (dunno who) had propped it up against my mailbox.
OBWW: The mailbox post is red cedar and has lasted for almost 30 years, untreated.
--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Man, I can't tell you all the stuff I've found. About ten minutes ago I found one of my missing screwdrivers, it was in my wife's sewing basket. Just yesterday I found two missing tape measurers; one in my daughters' bathroom, the other on top of the dryer. With a wife and two girls, I'm finding my stuff almost everyday.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Jim Laumann" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
With a wife and two girls, I'm

Now my 3 year old son is the best for that. When he "helps" anything can go.
John
Larry C in Auburn, WA wrote:

Hey, you're lucky. I've got a wife and FOUR girls. :-) My stuff gets "lost" and buried under so much of their stuff I can never find ANYTHING. And if I really want to hear myself talk, I just ask "has anybody seen my <insert name of ANYTHING here>?"
<twitch twitch>
I also used to think that having three tape measures would be enough to ensure that I could always find one. <insert five-minute laugh track here>
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

An industrial LawnBoy push mower.
I was driving around "the malls" outer access streets. I saw an Old Codger approaching on a side street and I figured he was going to run the stop sign. He clipped the GFs Monza in the right rear.
While waiting for the cops the Malls maintenance crew drove by in a pick up and towing a trailer. They were having such a good time laughing and pointing at me they didn't notice the mower fall off the trailer. I was going to get their attention and try to tell them but stopped myself at 1/4 breath and watch them drive on.
On a side note we bought this Monza with a tweaked frame from a junk yard for $300. Drove it a year or two before the collision, got $350 to fix the car (didn't), sold it to GFs sister for $350. She drove it quite a while before someone crashed a light demolishing the right rear. Insurance paid her $1,200 or $1,500. I could use more cars like that.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

Yeah, I had an $800 Chevy Nova like that. Guy backed into me in the parking lot. He worked for the town. They didn't waste any time paying the claim. They totaled my car, and let me "buy it back" for $100, so the net result was I got $800 out of the deal. A little sheet metal, a little Bondo, and as far as I know it's still on the road. I'm no longer driving it though. I got rid of it when the flywheel was about to break.
I miss that car. Wow, I had a V8.
Steve Turner wrote:

Two girls, three girls... No, *I'm* lucky. Just one. One is plenty. I don't know how you're going to cope in a few years when you have *five* women in the house with PMS. Sucks to be you! :)
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:03:46 -0500, Silvan

I have heard, without proof, that women tend to get synchronized when there are a number of them living together. That would mean that you will get it from all of them all at the same time. Good time to be in the shop, methinks.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

It's true, I think. Come to think of it, I too have only anecdotal evidence.
Ask me in five or six years.
Wow, there's a thought.
I need to get busy learning blacksmithing so I can make that chastity belt in time. :)
Mike, Don't have any children, just two Malamutes, but I do have an 'inexpensive' idea . . .
As a '3-gun' bullseye pistol shooter, I'd just make a pin, necklace, or ornament from one of my .45 targets. Or, in the shape of pistol, itself. "Oh, my dad gave me that, he has a couple of Trophy's, too."
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop PS: I taught my wife to shoot. She now has more Trap Shooting awards then I do !!
SNIP

Ron Magen wrote:

LMAO!!!!
SWMBO was standing right here though, and she's giving me a really nasty look. Maybe I'd better continue with the chastity belt idea. :)
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

Couple of true stories: 1. Our neighbor in TX had 3 daughters, all of them extremely cute. He is a marine corp Annapolis grad. He used to tease his oldest telling her that when she had her first date pick her up, he was going to be in the living room with a bottle of Jack Daniels on the table and cleaning his rifle.
2. Guy we know told me about a date he had; went to the house to pick up his date and was met by the date's father. He took him down to the basement and asked him if he wanted a beer. The guy told the father, "I don't drink, I'm not old enough" To which the father answered, "Don't lie to me son, you're not getting off to a very good start here." This guy then answered, "OK, a beer sounds fine." The father then went to the bar, opened the refrigerator, took out a beer, laid it on the bar, took out a revolver, laid it on the bar, and took out a second beer, opened it and handed it to the young lad. He told him, as he picked up the gun and opened the second beer for himself, "Have my daughter back by 11 pm. If you touch her, I'll kill you. Enjoy the beer." He then took the gun and his beer and left the room for the boy to wait for his date. The guy said, "I checked the gas, verified my tires were perfect, and had her back by 10:15."