I found it in the street.....

Uh huh... Saw the lovely lady driving that route to work and threw a bunch of nails in the street didja? I'll never tell. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Crossing at the light of a busy downtown street one day, people all around, I found $40 (2 Folded $20 bills) right smack in the middle the street. Only reason I see things like that is because since I use a wheelchair, I'm forced to judge the direction people are walking by their feet, not their faces that are looking almost everywhere except where they're walking. No bullshit.

And I've also come to another conclusion. Someone who is walking and using the cellphone at the same time couldn't find an open manhole if they walked into it and dropped ten feet.

I watched one guy in a store talking to his girlfriend in the cellphone and looking for the cash machine at the same time. He walked right by it three times before he stopped and asked where it was at the front of the store.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Jim Heater

Man, I can't tell you all the stuff I've found. About ten minutes ago I found one of my missing screwdrivers, it was in my wife's sewing basket. Just yesterday I found two missing tape measurers; one in my daughters' bathroom, the other on top of the dryer. With a wife and two girls, I'm finding my stuff almost everyday.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

My wife is a field manager for a big construction company. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have dumpster dived for.

  • 2x12x16 & 1x4x16 western red cedar (plenty)
  • framing lumber & OSB
  • full sticks of 5.5" crown and base (enough to do a house)
  • all the concrete blocks you want
  • rebar, tie wires etc (all you want)
  • a complete set of kitchen cabinets (one had a little water damage)
  • all sorts of doors and windows
  • Hunter ceiling fans
  • sevearl part spools of RG6 quad shield TV coax
  • all the hardware, hurricane straps, screws etc you are willing to pick up.
  • pipe, fittings etc It seems once something is dropped at a job site it is expensed and nobody is willing to pick it up and put it back in the system. A double drop or a mistaken order is just tossed in the dumpster. Of course anything with the slightest damage is tossed. I built my shed entirely from "trash" with the exception of the concrete and mortar. It is concrete block, cedar trim, steel doors and complies with the
150mph Florida wind code. (lots of concrete and rebar in the block). You do have to collect things for a while but I bet I could damn near build a whole house with the stuff they throw away in a year. The only thing you would have to buy is the stuff that doesn't keep, like concrete. They still throw plenty away but it ends up being giant dinosaur turds on the ground
Reply to
Greg

I've found innumerable user tools over the years and have a reasonable tool kit in my truck assembled for free. I just bought a new car, so I need to keep my eyes peeled for the "new" tool kit.

One thing I've noticed is that the quality of tools has decreased over the years; more stuff from China and fewer Snap-On tools. Also, the volume of automotive tools seems to be decreasing as cars get more reliable and less repair-friendly.

But I have found two framing hammers in the last couple of months.

Reply to
Hitch

With a wife and two girls, I'm

Now my 3 year old son is the best for that. When he "helps" anything can go.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I was on a long drive cross-country and pulled off at a gas station. I found a worm-drive circular saw between two gas pumps. I left, went to eat, and came back. I figured at that point it was mine. After lubing it up and putting a good blade on it, it has served me well. I don't mind beating on the thing too hard because I didn't have to pay for it ;)

Reply to
Jay

Hey, you're lucky. I've got a wife and FOUR girls. :-) My stuff gets "lost" and buried under so much of their stuff I can never find ANYTHING. And if I really want to hear myself talk, I just ask "has anybody seen my ?"

I also used to think that having three tape measures would be enough to ensure that I could always find one.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Supper

Reply to
No-good Boyo

No word of a lie - a rolling floor jack. Near as I can figure someone changed a tire and forgot to load the jack. Also "found" a very large (as in about a foot in a half) screw driver that managed to "attack" me through the floorpan of a car going down 95. Came about 6" from the important privates. Scary moment. LOL!

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

A bench grinder on a stand, a commercial grade wheel barrow, a nice extension ladder, numerous wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers.

I've also found a decent amount of money in parking lots but nothing beats the day I found a folded up $10 bill. Inside it was a $100 :-)

Well, I did find about $600 once but I saw the lady drop it and I chased her down and gave it to her. She was quite grateful, I think it was her Christmas shopping money because it was this time of year.

Reply to
Bruce

An industrial LawnBoy push mower.

I was driving around "the malls" outer access streets. I saw an Old Codger approaching on a side street and I figured he was going to run the stop sign. He clipped the GFs Monza in the right rear.

While waiting for the cops the Malls maintenance crew drove by in a pick up and towing a trailer. They were having such a good time laughing and pointing at me they didn't notice the mower fall off the trailer. I was going to get their attention and try to tell them but stopped myself at

1/4 breath and watch them drive on.

On a side note we bought this Monza with a tweaked frame from a junk yard for $300. Drove it a year or two before the collision, got $350 to fix the car (didn't), sold it to GFs sister for $350. She drove it quite a while before someone crashed a light demolishing the right rear. Insurance paid her $1,200 or $1,500. I could use more cars like that.

Reply to
Mark

I never find anything, but my wife found some good stuff...

a 12V dewalt drill, and a lufkin tape measure.

She spotted both on the side of the road ont the way to our wedding. I'm very proud to say she made her dad stop the car (they were very nearly late) so she could pick the stuff up.

-David

I've gotten literally everything that can be produced from the local dump. Absolute truth. Trinitron TVs, fast computers, DVD players, snowblowers, expensive lawn mowers, riding mower, air compressors, a welder, tons of tools, electronics, chainsaws, furniture, books, whatever. And this is all good stuff, not junk. It looks like I spent a fortune on all the stuff around the house.

As far as finding stuff on the road, I haven't gotten anything in a long time. However, I did see a large trucking driving down the highway at 75MPH with a large impact wrench teetering on the rear bumper. Someone probably found a good tool later that day.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4
.

Ah, yes. Revives another memory. And it does not qualify as something *I* found. But anyway. My cousin found a sure vocal master PA head in the road one day. Must have dropped out of someone's van. He picked it up and brought it over to band practice (We were in a band together and had a vocal master with the shure columns). It didn't work (Impact "killed" it), but was used for parts. Kind of a semi find - at least until the peavey came along, at which point we gave away the vocal master setup.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

Wow, that qualifies as a gloat for sure. You suck!

Reply to
Silvan

Blacksmith's leg vice - St Pauls, Bristol (which is just about the most unlikely place to find such a thing)

Pozidrive screwdriver - whilst standing nest to a broken down car, wondering how to fix the broken water hose without a Pozi screwdriver to get the hose clip off.

Andy Dingley

Two girls, three girls... No, *I'm* lucky. Just one. One is plenty. I don't know how you're going to cope in a few years when you have *five* women in the house with PMS. Sucks to be you! :)

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, I had an $800 Chevy Nova like that. Guy backed into me in the parking lot. He worked for the town. They didn't waste any time paying the claim. They totaled my car, and let me "buy it back" for $100, so the net result was I got $800 out of the deal. A little sheet metal, a little Bondo, and as far as I know it's still on the road. I'm no longer driving it though. I got rid of it when the flywheel was about to break.

I miss that car. Wow, I had a V8.

Reply to
Silvan