I felt sorry for him until...

Page 1 of 2
The guy that works in the office next to me cut off his index finger and severely damaged the next three fingers while cutting some siding at home this past weekend. I had a great deal of sympathy for him until I found out how he did it. He was cutting some siding on his house and couldn’t get to part of it with a circular saw so he decided to attach the blade from the circular saw on a hand grinder. Can you imagine! Picture standing on a ladder holding an electric motor with a shaft and a 7-1/4 inch unguarded spinning blade in one hand! He is “lucky” he only lost one finger, that thing could have killed him.
Why do people take chances like this?
Do you?
Do I?
It reminds me for some reason of another time when I saw a guy with a gas motor strapped to his back with a shaft and a propeller sticking out of it just above his head. Luckily his buddy couldn’t get it started, or that guy would have been dead, and probably a few others around him. Why do people take chances like this?
Scott

..see darwinawards.com
Larry
Considering that is a story that should be submitted. How else could people know to avoid him?
--
Young Carpenter

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:22:23 -0400, "Young Carpenter"

Nope. Darwin Award recipients are required to have removed their genes from the pool permanently during their 'adventure'.
Not dead only gets you Honorable Mention, and you really gotta screw yourself up to get that. Taking off a finger or three won't cut it.
[can't believe I said that . . . ] Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Agreed, but there is one more condition. You must remove yourself from the gene pool before you have children, otherwise the stupid genes just keep on replicating.
Mekon
snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote: [snip]

Because they're stupid.
Yep, a Darwin award candidate on some future date.
Ordinary tools are dangerous enough without going looking for trouble. Those lancelot carving wheels some folks use on right angle grinders look extremely dangerous, and they have guards!
A Dremel tool with a little abrasive cutoff wheel would've worked and been safer.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:34:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

http://www.micromark.com/ stock numbers 14133 through 14138.
Work great, cut _fast_.
Balsa, bass, birch ply, fingers, . . .
BTDT. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:25:21 GMT, Fred McClellan

Ouch. Those'd hurt. When I replied earlier, I had in mind some thin abrasive discs that are used at my employer on a Dremel. The do a great job cutting sheet metal, but are as brittle as all get out. They break with just a hard stare. Them little saw blades you point out would do some wicked damage to flesh and not break.
You can get those discs in a fiberglass reinforced style. Much more durable.

have whole box of them. My Bro. in law got them as "rejects".
--
Young Carpenter

If you're going to use "tiny sawblades" hand-held, then look at a Fein Multimaster. It oscillates, rather than rotating. Cuts hard things beautifully (they're used to take plaster casts off in hospitals) but the worst you get from skin contact is a line of pinpricks.
I'm trying to production-engineer these right now: http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/trays /
Cutting the narrow stopped groove for the copper is a nightmare. Only way I've found to cut them in reasonable time is a slitting saw in the milling machine, and a custom-made fence to run the stock along. It's an ugly lash-up and it's putting my fingers far too close to a whirling sawblade, even with a pushblock 8-(
My surgical colleagues use some nice oscillating saws to cut bone. Low risk of damage to soft tissues, plenty of control. Nice example at:
http://www.de-soutter.com/htm/products/orthopaedic_md_mcx.htm
Any non-squeamish woodworker would enjoy the use of saw and jigs in total knee replacement.
--
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit,"
Reverend Jim Peasboro

Yup. Nasty scar running across four fingers attests to that.
I now use them _rarely_, and with serious consideration aforehand.
Still, there are a very few jobs where nothing else will do.
Otherwise I use the cut-off wheels, sanding drums, and plethora of other decidedly more safe Dremel attachments.
There are two main varieties of cut-off wheels for Dremels, the 'plain' type and the reinforced type. The differences are readily seen; the reinforcing fabric in the latter is quite obvious. The 'plain' wheels shatter in a New York Second, but the reinforced variety are pretty tough customers. I use 'em to slice up stainless sheet and tube when building control fittings for the models. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
On 17 Sep 2003, Doug Miller spake unto rec.woodworking:

... and they either don't have, or choose to ignore, that little voice in their heads that screams "DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!" when preparing to do something that puts them at the head of the line for the natural selection process.
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You know, I don't buy that theory, not all the time. Now the guy that lost all his fingers trying to trim his hedges by picking up his running lawnmower was definitely in that category but sometimes anxious beats out stupid. So does frustration, lack of money, anger, boredom, and fatigue. We've all gotten away with, and been bitten by stupid things like this.
I think Jeff Foxworthy has a whole spiel on people who need to wear signs saying "I'm stupid"
--
Young Carpenter

: "Violin playing and Woodworking are similar, it takes plenty of money, : plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"
Heh, I play the violin while the glue is drying.. :-)
I haven't gotten around to mixing the too. The neighbors might not appreciate the added noise
--
Young Carpenter

That was Bill Engvall (his goofy sidekick from the TV show). He came out with a CD a couple of years ago called "Here's Your Sign". My wife played that thing till it practically wore out. While it was popular, you couldn't listen to a country station here in Phoenix for more than about 10 minutes without hearing it.
--

Jerry Maple
General Dynamics Decision Systems