I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 10 of 16

Lucky you/ When I was a kid, there were only reel push mowers. Worked OK for an adult but for a little kid the handle cross pieces were somewhere around eye level. NOT easy :(
On 8/7/2016 11:10 AM, dadiOH wrote:

No push mower is easy, and especially down here in Houston. We have St. Augustine grass, often referred to as carpet grass. Let it get a little over grown and it is an effort to walk on, no dragging your feet. ;~)
My dad replace that self propelled mower with a standard push mower when I was about 8 and I had to drag it to cut the yard.
"Leon" wrote in message

Still 2 to 3 times more than I would have guesstimated.
It's specific gravity is a little over 8 pounds/gallon.
Dave in SoTex
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

A blatant falsity started by the French to corrupt the modern world!
All my coffee mugs are 8oz, give or take a tad. I am not cultured enough to drink from a demi-tasse.
John
On 8/7/2016 9:01 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Your mug is 8oz????? When you hold and drink out of it, does your pinky finger stick straight out? LOL
I use closer to a 12oz mug and fill to 10 oz. My wife brings it to me on a two wheel dolly. ;~)
A 5oz cup is what you drink a sample of coffee from at the demo booth at Sam's.
On 8/7/2016 9:19 AM, Leon wrote:

On 8/7/2016 11:54 AM, graham wrote:

LOL

When I buy coffee, it's always a 24oz cup. ;-) If it's not 90F out, I'll bring a 24oz cup to work and make another pot[*] for myself when I get there. ;-)
[*] Don't worry, it's unleaded. Can't have real coffee anymore.

To be sure, Alphonse. Standards of decorum must be maintained.
I dunno why they're all 8oz. Most of them are freebies from trade shows.
John
On 8/7/2016 5:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Absolutely! ;~)

I believe 8oz. is actually standard here for the Hoyte Toyte. ;~)
replying to John McCoy, ascalon wrote: Nonsense. A standard cup of liquid is 250 ml (mililiters). It is also a quarter of a liter, so it is easy to visualize if you buy your juice, milk etc. in bottles of 1 l, 1.5 l , 2 l. And if you can visualize a cube with each side 39 in, here you can "see" the cubic meter and figure out the volume of your neighbour's pool.
Because it wasn't invented here?

...and the English system was? (I assume you're not in England, with a newsguy server).

How does it make it easier to divide something into thirds?

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 23:08:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"

It's a single base rather than multiple bases (ten and whatever divisor needed for the precision needed - 2/4/6/16/32). Imperial can be made easier by limiting the bases to 10 (drop feet) and use only one divisor (e.g. use 24/32 rather than 3/4 and do the arithmetic on the numerator only).
On 8/6/2016 10:08 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

There is no such thing as "a third" in the metric world.

Most of the metric world *is* the third world. ;-)

On 8/7/2016 5:30 PM, graham wrote:

LOL, We are our own world.

Now be nice. ;~)