I don't get it, why is metric better?

Look around you. We've been changing. The reason becomes obvious.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL I had to read the 3 times before I got it. LOL... That is actually how a particular group of Texans pronounce it. Most Texans pronounce it like Henry Ford pronounced it.

Reply to
Leon

In Texas we call it R'Kansas. ;~) Not really but I do.

In Virginia, the city of Norfolk.. the locals pronounce it NaFu_k.

Reply to
Leon

I believe 8oz. is actually standard here for the Hoyte Toyte. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Now be nice. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

LOL, We are our own world.

Reply to
Leon

Having worked in hi-tech fer 30 yrs, I used it all the time. I still do. I jes bought a "0.3 microns" respirator from Lee Valley Tools.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Actually I recall the US begin the conversion in the mid 70's.

Thank you for that and the trillion dollar debt Mr. Jeemey Caater. Every politician has been trying to out spend him since that.

Reply to
Leon

No. ;~) LOL We like to call all inches Imperial just like we like to call Robertson square drive, Square Drive.

Reply to
Leon

Why are you aking me? Yer the one harping on points.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I won't see kmpH signs being the norm, in my lifetime. I won't see .35484l Cokes, either.

Reply to
krw

But it's true! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Nice snip. You obviously don't wish to communicate.

Reply to
krw

And in the real Norfolk, the county in the East of England, it is pronounced Norfu_k. I'm originally from the neighbouring county of Suffolk, pronounced Suffu_k:-) Graham

Reply to
graham

It would be better for all if we didn't see *any* Cokes (or Pepsis for that matter).

Reply to
graham

Those Europeans! They changed perfectly good .30 caliber to 7.62 millimeters, too!

Reply to
whit3rd

In my field, the term "micron" is commonly used informally and until fairly recently, was also used in our scientific publications. I don't know when the change to µm occurred but obviously some pedant had a hand in it. Graham

Reply to
graham

We all choose our poisons. It's called "life".

Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

This'll throw another percent or three:

1" -0/32"+1/16"

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

dpb wrote in news:no7ubd$c86$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm not an old fogey, still much to young for that. I'm rather open minded when it comes to measurement systems, with one caveat: Pick one and use it! If it's metric, tell me and I'll adjust. If it's Imperial, tell me and I'll adjust. Don't pretend it's both, the difference between a 2" hole and a 50mm hole is a 2" item will fit snugly in the 2" hole and not at all in the 50mm hole.

I use metric quite a bit when model railroading, as it's convenient. Metric is good at measuring small things. I use Imperial when woodworking, Imperial is good at measuring average size things. When it comes to huge things, it's a tossup, but Metric would probably win out. It supports things like Gm (Gigameters) or even Ym (Yottameters) if you don't want to use light years. (I know those are the prefixes for storage, and storage stole them from Metric so I think they're right.)

If they had based the meter off something closer to the foot, like a cubit or something, they might have wound up with a system that was good at measuring small things (the centimeter would probably be the unit of choice), average size things (meters), and big things (Mm).

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper