I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 6 of 16
On 8/7/2016 6:43 PM, Leon wrote:

And in the real Norfolk, the county in the East of England, it is pronounced Norfu_k. I'm originally from the neighbouring county of Suffolk, pronounced Suffu_k:-) Graham

Unless you're from Essex, like me, in which case it's pronounced "silly Suffu_k".
(there's probably some historical reason, likely dating to the middle ages, for that; but no-one ever explained it to me).
John
On 8/8/2016 8:09 AM, John McCoy wrote:

"Silly" is a corruption of "saelig", which means "blessed". BTW, where in Essex?
On 08/08/2016 9:34 AM, graham wrote: ...

Thanks for that; was wondering...
BTW, maybe you know -- in Kent there a a number of places with "Hoo" in the name. I asked locally when there what it means, if anything, nobody knew. Like "St Mary Hoo" was a particular little village between the Thames and Medway. (I was there doing some coal-flow testing/instrument-development work at the nearby Kingsnorth Station).

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 09:57:20 -0500, dpb wrote:

Got me curious - I looked it up. I found:
Hoo means a "spur of a hill"
Can't swear that they're right :-).
carrying a cross.
On 8/8/2016 8:57 AM, dpb wrote:

Also in Suffolk: http://suttonhoo.org/ The Anglo-Saxon burial mound near Woodbridge, overlooking the Deben Estuary. I think Larry's explanation of "Hoo" is probably correct. Graham
On 08/08/2016 1:01 PM, graham wrote: ...

Hmmm....perhaps but there really certainly wasn't much in the way of any hill in the area I was aware of--it's all pretty much flat as W KS (altho a _whole lot_ greener :) ) that I saw...it's not but a few miles to the channel. I know the peninsula it's in between the two river mouths was also "Hoo" just wondered the origin...lacking a better explanation, guess this one'll do as good as any! :)
Doesn't look like with the "war on coal" currently going on there'll be any further development on the pulverized coal-flow instrumentation we were developing/testing there and I've pretty-much given up the tech consulting gig being back on the family farm so doubt I'll get back over there again...was very enjoyable/educational; had four trips iirc and managed to take at least some extra time with each...including a motoring trip across the middle off all the main roads to "The North" and on up as far as Edinborough and then swing back down the west side to get back to London for the flight home...no preset itinerary, just found B&B's along the way and puttered.

On 8/8/2016 12:54 PM, dpb wrote:

I can understand your frustration about the "war" as I consult to the oil industry and often work on projects from the Alberta Oil Sands, as I will be later this week.
..was very enjoyable/educational; had four trips iirc and

I go back every year and enrich the trip by going on cycling holidays in France with my b-i-l. I left the UK in 1971 and there's no way I would ever go back to live. It's a foreign country to me now. Graham
On 08/08/2016 2:05 PM, graham wrote: ...

Kewl...I presume current oil prices aren't helping there, either; it and the glut of NG that's the byproduct of enhanced oil production technologies besides the oil have essentially completely shut down any work at all around here...to the point Halliburton closed the local field office, moved out and has the facility up for sale.

Well, the US is turning into that as well for us it seems...or at the very least we've got a crowd in control seemingly determined to do so. :(

This (the replacement of coal by natural gas in electric generation) is very reminiscent of the replacement of steam locomotives by diesels in the 50's. Basically, given the labor of shipping it, preparing it for use, and disposing of the ashes, coal has to be much cheaper than natural gas (now) or diesel (then).
With natural gas looking to be cheap for the forseeable future, it seems unlikely coal will ever be economical again, just like it wasn't for locomotives.
John
On 08/08/2016 5:30 PM, John McCoy wrote: ...

It's not the coal that's the costly part, it's all the added regulatory burdens added specifically to price it out.
OTOH, while NG is currently in abundance my personal feeling is that is going to be temporary and go away much more quickly than is envisioned generally at the moment and "then you'll be sorry!" we've wasted so much of what is in the end far more valuable as a home heating fuel, feedstock for chemical processes, etc., etc., etc., than to waste on central-station generation.

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 22:30:26 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

The difference is portability. The only reason coal will be more expensive is purely political.

Big difference.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

How do you figure? With coal, you have to build a railroad to the powerplant, run trains to it, build a rotary dumper to unload the trains, have conveyors to move the coal, have a crusher to pulverize the coal - all that before you even start to burn it. With gas, build a pipeline and light a match.
Then, with gas once it's burned you're done. With coal you end up with ash, which has to be collected and loaded into trucks (or another train) and hauled off to be disposed of. And pulverized coal is abrasive, so every so often you have to replace the boiler tubes.
It's quite a lot more expensive to burn coal. Coal has to sell at a substantial discount to gas to be the preferred fuel. And that's exclusive of any regulatory burden.
(I also kind of think you can't run a combined cycle plant on coal, which is currently the most efficient design. If so, that's another reason coal is more expensive. Perhaps dpb can comment on that).
John
On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 02:04:38 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Actually no you do not have to ship it (coal) one of the newest plants in Illinois is built on a coal mine. It was built by the co ops.
On 08/09/2016 7:59 AM, Markem wrote: ...

There've been "mine-mouth" plants for years; the biggest difficulty in doing it universally is that for the most part the coal isn't where the demand for power is.

That is the beauty of Tesla'a AC, easier than Edisons DC.
On 08/09/2016 9:32 AM, Markem wrote:

"Easier" initially isn't necessarily all the issue...AC transmission line losses are a major problem; in fact new long-distance lines (and many existing from the massive hydro generation in Canada to the NE US) are now DC. Possible primarily owing to the advances in solid state that make large-current voltage transformers practical now that weren't in TAE's time.

We know how to move electricity, too.
On 08/09/2016 8:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

Simply knowing how doesn't build a transmission line...siting them now is a major obstacle, too, besides simply the expense.

Laying new track isn't a picnic, either. Nor a pipeline. Politics is going to kill us all.