I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 5 of 16
On 8/7/2016 8:00 AM, dpb wrote:

Yes! Here in Canada! I have a couple of 2 litre bottles of milk in the fridge right now.

On 08/07/2016 11:49 AM, graham wrote:

What part of "...the innate volume reference of the US population..." did you miss? That we've not [yet] annexed Canada? :)

Milk will someday be sold in the US in 1-liter, 2-liter, and 3.75-liter containers, probably within the next ten years or so -- but people will still be calling them quart, half-gallon, and gallon for another couple of generations.
says...

That's what you _think_ you learned. Majoring in the hard sciences means that you learn to use it. It doesn't mean that you ever _like_ it or prefer it to the English system.

But, I do!
I was using metric long before I ever attended college. And quite frankly, I can use either system with equal ease. I do it every day.
Don't you?
nb

Sure. That's the whole point. Why change?

Learning your SS number to get your grades is harder than learning metric, I learned metric in grade school. It is not hard at all. It is more likely that those that learned Imperial and fractions first have a much easier time learning metric than those that learned metric first and later tried to learn the Imperial and working with fractions.
As I have stated earlier, I use both in my shop because my Festool tools use metric and I design for imperial measurements. Can those that learned metric first do that ?
So reading the answers here no one has proven that metric is better so much as simply easier to some degree. Oddly those that think metric is better tend to work with only one resolution vs multiple resolutions on a given project. I suppose that is because working with multiples of 10 is more confusing when you have to start using decimal points and or as I have also stated the sounds of each resolution differ slightly compared to Imperial so to cut down on the possibility of verbal miscommunication only one resolution is commonly used.
*snip*

*snip*
That's because it isn't. Floating around somewhere is a Metric vs Imperial comparison, where it says one system is better because of some reason, then not long after says the other system is better because of the same reason.
A quick Google didn't return anything like it, and it wasn't on the repairfaq.org humor page. (Don't go there if you don't have some time to kill... you'll be busy reading jokes for an hour or better.)
Puckdropper
On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 08:41:38 -0500, Leon wrote:

OK, but what enters into "better" for a number system other than ease of use?
Oh yeah, the one I grew up with is "better" :-). Gimme that old time religion :-).
carrying a cross.
On 8/7/2016 9:41 AM, Leon wrote:

What is "better" is what you know. 320 million of us leaned inches and expect the other 6.5 billion people to adapt to us.
Just as most of us speak English and want others to do so rather than us learn Urdu or Swahili.
What is also easier is having an open mind and learning how to use other methods compatible with the rest of the world.
On 08/07/2016 12:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...
A) Yes, that's true and for everyday use, it's a good-enough reason.
B) No (at least I) don't expect them to adapt to us, I just don't want them (or some DC bureaucrat) forcing _us_ (as in US) to switch things that don't need to be switched just for the sake of it.
Wasn't going to but what the heck, having come this far... :)
C) It's been the fortunate position of US by dint of its combination of resources plus the economic and governing systems to build a sufficiency that that is so (others having to use our system, languages, etc.). Getting to that point collectively to be able to create a similar condition was a prime reason for the EU which then created for the most part the switch in industrial US.
D) Again, "learning how to use other methods" isn't the issue; I don't think there's anybody who's responded in the (apparently now interminable :) ) thread who doesn't "know how"; it's that for much use and particularly that of everyday use there really is no clear advantage in changing and (as I've also noted earlier) the denizens here are mostly old fogeys and we see no reason to switch just for the sake of switching. We don't export the weather, the roads are where they've always been, "a mile a minute" is _far_ more convenient that whatever it works out to in kpm, etc., etc., etc., ... OTOH, US manufacturing switched decades ago for all that export so what has been important already is.

What he said!

I'm not an old fogey, still much to young for that. I'm rather open minded when it comes to measurement systems, with one caveat: Pick one and use it! If it's metric, tell me and I'll adjust. If it's Imperial, tell me and I'll adjust. Don't pretend it's both, the difference between a 2" hole and a 50mm hole is a 2" item will fit snugly in the 2" hole and not at all in the 50mm hole.
I use metric quite a bit when model railroading, as it's convenient. Metric is good at measuring small things. I use Imperial when woodworking, Imperial is good at measuring average size things. When it comes to huge things, it's a tossup, but Metric would probably win out. It supports things like Gm (Gigameters) or even Ym (Yottameters) if you don't want to use light years. (I know those are the prefixes for storage, and storage stole them from Metric so I think they're right.)
If they had based the meter off something closer to the foot, like a cubit or something, they might have wound up with a system that was good at measuring small things (the centimeter would probably be the unit of choice), average size things (meters), and big things (Mm).
Puckdropper
On 08/07/2016 11:06 PM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

Granted, one sees stuff like that a lot on internet stores...I had a heckuva time figuring out the thread diameter/pitch when trying to order a replacement sight glass for a little HF air compressor. Turns out it appears the threads in the casting are 3/4" NPT because a standard pipe plug will not leak but I've tried four different sight glasses and not a one will seat tightly enough to not leak. Hence, I drilled/tapped a 3/4" plug with a 1/8" NPT offset where the bottom is at the mid-point and now have a level check! :)

But the key there is mostly _you're_ choosing which to use for specific purposes; the argument (at least mine) against is mandated changing of "ordinary" day-to-day-living things just for the sake of doing so. I have no quarrel against what anybody chooses to use; I do resent the thought of US bureaucrats in DC using threats of cutting of federal hiway dollars to states to force compliance in change road signs, for example.

I'm fairly sure most people in this newsgroup do, tho.

And the point is? I can easily switch between metric and imperial (and between imperial and US units for that matter, just like I switch from English english to US english).
There is no particular advantage to using metric (which is Leon's point). If something is in imperial units, I use imperial; if it's in metric, I use metric. I see no reason to convert one to the other (unless directly comparing two things in different units).
John
On 8/7/2016 8:50 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Good on you John!
Concerning your comment above about you being able to switch from English english and US English. And I am poking fun here with this question.
The English english words, bird and the name Mark. When we hear the English english version of both words we hear "bud" and "Mahk". Do you guys use the letter "r" with in a word? ;~)
Y'all may now ask me a question about how we pronounce words in Texas. LOL
On 8/7/2016 9:46 AM, Leon wrote:

And despite their much loved use of the metric system, they continue to weigh themselves in "stones" and tell time in "fortnights".
How much do ya weight mate?, Why fourteen stone, when I weighed a fortnight ago.
Nothing consistent about the POME's ..
;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

English is the language where "Worcester" is pronounced "wooster" and "Cholmondeley" is pronounced "chumly".

I know how Texan works - that's where "Ford" rhymes with "road". :-)
John
On 8/7/2016 3:39 PM, John McCoy wrote:

On 8/7/2016 5:31 PM, graham wrote:

In Texas we call it R'Kansas. ;~) Not really but I do.
In Virginia, the city of Norfolk.. the locals pronounce it NaFu_k.