I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 3 of 16

I don't care about its size when I want to buy film for my camera. It's a name (I didn't say "brand").

Don't be an asshole. I had a Canuck car and never did get used to the speedometer. It's fine for the speed limit but other uses (like time to destination) it's a PITA.

You're deaf, then. It costs a *huge* pile of money to convert everything (and everyone) and there is _no_ reason *TO* change. It works just fine as it is.

It costs next to nothing as we already have duel tools and measuring devices. Some things won't change, such as 12 ounce cans for the millions of existing soda machines.
You probably have noticed that working "as is" means the gradual phasing in of metrics over many years and it is not going to stop. Fighting the change just adds another generation or two to the finality.
Be sure your grandchildren learn Mandarin too.

Then why change? I don't care if the filling machines work in metric. It doesn't affect me at all. I don't want 1/3l cans. Unit pricing and all.

You still haven't given us a reason *to* change.

They said the same thing about Japanese and Arabic, too. These are all phases.

Look around you. We've been changing. The reason becomes obvious.

I won't see kmpH signs being the norm, in my lifetime. I won't see .35484l Cokes, either.

It would be better for all if we didn't see *any* Cokes (or Pepsis for that matter).

We all choose our poisons. It's called "life".

So move to some politically correct workers' paradise and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

But you might see 350 ml cans.
On 8/7/2016 3:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There are already plenty of soda machines that dispense 20 ounce bottles, so changing that is no problem. Twelve liquid ounces is 355 ml, so a 350 ml pop can could fit existing 12 oz. machines without modification.
On 8/8/2016 4:15 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

I have to say that I cannot really remember seeing a soda machine that dispenses any size glass bottle in 20+ years, maybe longer. Those and telephone booths.
On 08/08/2016 8:41 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Yeah, they've pretty-much put Superman out of business...good thing there are no more bad guys around Gotham City these days...

Bad guys is the reason there aren't telephone booths any longer. In the US, in this century, the only people using them were drug dealers and pimps, so the police started encouraging business owners to remove them.
I was surprised to see, watching the bike race in Rio, that phone booths are still common there. Dunno if that's because cell phones are less common (seems unlikely), or criminals don't use phone booths there, or simple inertia.
John
On 8/8/2016 8:49 AM, dpb wrote:

LOL.... Strongly, my eye doctor's waiting room has a soda machine, it must be there decoration, it has no power cord and is room temperature inside. ;~) And it is empty. Every thing else in the room is relatively modern, I doubt that the building is over 10 years old.

Metropolis is an old town and they still have a phone booth on the square.
On 8/8/2016 7:41 AM, Leon wrote:

> I didn't say glass bottles. They're 20 ounce plastic bottles. Example: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/417690/Coca-Cola-Classic-20-Oz-Bottle/ Example of 20 oz soda dispenser machine: http://www.vendingmachinesetc.com/royal650-10-rvcde-merliniv.html
BTW, 20 oz. is approx. 0.591 liters, so making a 0.6 liter product would be very little difference.

OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) dispenses 12oz glass bottles of coke (hecho en mexico - so real sugar) from a machine at the local store.
On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 20:46:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Real Coke is available in one of the local high-end grocery stores, here, too. Coke has reintroduced it, also, so you don't have to drink illegal Coke.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz writes:

nothing illegal about it.
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 13:20:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Nevermind...