I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 16 of 16
On 08/08/2016 2:22 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

_I_ was the poster, _I_ KNOW I posted an integer "1"

On 8/8/2016 2:24 PM, dpb wrote:

Integers are not much use when measuring stuff.
On 8/8/2016 4:38 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

And yet the two zeros are redundant and equal nothing.
Implied and actual are two different things.
Both of your examples are equal even if you added a thousand zeros after the decimal point.
On 8/7/2016 9:37 AM, dpb wrote:

I think you are all wrong. When measuring stuff in a wood shop, matters little if you use inches, metric or foobars. The problem comes with nuts, bolts and machine screws. I began rebuilding engines when I was 15 years old, and everything US was in inches. All our tools were inches. When metric started, I guess in the 70's, I bought a set of metric wrenches and sockets, less than a 50-100 bucks I reckon in extra tools. The pain was keeping them separate, and figuring out if bolts were metric or inches. Still, not a big deal, just a royal PIA.
Today, I have a 40 year collection of Imperial nuts, bolts and machine screws, all separated neatly in little drawers, all sizes, lengths and so on. When I tossed out anything with a bunch of easily accessible nuts and bolts, I would rip them out, sort them and save them for future use. Off the top of my head I'd say I have at least 100 drawers with separate compartments for this stuff, which has been immensely useful over the years. Now, lots of stuff is metric, and I'd have to double my storage to keep all this stuff neat and easily accessible. It's impossible to judge the size of things when you throw metric into the mix. "Is this a 12mm nut or 1/2". So nothing to do with fear.
If I were born with metric, I would be super happy if everything stayed metric. I wasn't, I was born with imperial, and I'd be super happy if everything stayed imperial. It's not a matter of what is better, or fear, stubbornness and independence. It is simply a matter of simplicity, efficiency and convenience. I would mainly prefer to have one set of tools, one set of hardware. Unfortunately, that ship has sailed, so were off to the land of 12.7mm or .472 inches and 200 drawers of hardware.
--
Jack

Stubborness yes. But people with multiple degrees in the sciences and engineering and decades of engineering experience are not "afraid" of some damned numbers.
On 8/6/2016 8:02 AM, graham wrote:

Or the rest of the world needs a simple way to measure so that they can function. I use the metric system every time I am in the shop, and I mix it with imperial. But put me in the real world where distances become greater and the sounds of all the resolutions are just too similar, or you get in to huge numbers, or you have to know where to put the decimal point.
On 8/5/2016 4:16 PM, Leon wrote:

The Metric system is a "basic introduction to math"
The Imperial system is "Algebra".