I don't get it, why is metric better?

On 08/08/2016 9:34 AM, graham wrote: ...

Thanks for that; was wondering...

BTW, maybe you know -- in Kent there a a number of places with "Hoo" in the name. I asked locally when there what it means, if anything, nobody knew. Like "St Mary Hoo" was a particular little village between the Thames and Medway. (I was there doing some coal-flow testing/instrument-development work at the nearby Kingsnorth Station).

Reply to
dpb

My keyboard does this all the time... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

notbob wrote in news:e0rialFlsqmU4 @mid.individual.net:

The computer's excellent at math, the darn programmers are awful at making it useful. I keep a TI89 handy because Windows Calculator emulates a write-only desk calculator. Well, to be fair it's now more like a TI30--two line display.

Not that I ever need to use anything more advanced than fractions...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Metropolis is an old town and they still have a phone booth on the square.

Reply to
Markem

graham wrote in news:noa20u$9nf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Why? Do you guys have people making sure the metre's needs are met? Do they clean it and dust it and all that?

'round here, meter maids are part of the police force. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Got me curious - I looked it up. I found:

Hoo means a "spur of a hill"

Can't swear that they're right :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It's probably not a coincidence that 6.35mm is 0.25 inches.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The reduced taxes resulted in a booming economy and revenue remained about the same despite the reduced tax rates. Increased debt was due to increased spending, not reduced taxes. When revenue remains the same, there is only one way to increase debt.

Reply to
Jack

On 08/08/2016 9:56 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Well, there are fronts continually, yes, altho some may have sensible effects no more than simply a wind-direction shift as far as temp's go. But, differing air masses can/are still the trigger events for storm development. Sufficient cool air to keep daytime temps in the 70s/80s in August isn't unheard of certainly, but isn't that common, though, which is probably the real question.

This is, as I'm sure you're probably aware, the peak of the NM/CO "monsoon" season so it's almost a daily event that there's at least a chance of those moving across from the west and drifting into SW KS and the OK/TX panhandles from the late afternoon 'til early morning hours as the general winds prevail from the west. This gets blocked entirely when a broad high develops but at the moment we're in a moderate situation. The continuing of the La Nina cycle that hasn't yet (while it's in transition) gotten to the El Nino phase tends to let the northern jet stream stay near our latitude and that allows for moisture to be in the area. We've had (for us) high dewpoints all summer, albeit right on top of us we've been being missed by the really abundant rainfall we're at least at or a little above normal for the year. OTOH, when El Nino really gets set up, it cause the jet stream to buckle and shift the southward track east and thru the southeast US instead and that sets us up for the extreme droughts as the '30s, '50s and the five years that finally broke last summer. Needless to say, we're hoping that this cycle won't be nearly so severe nor long in duration.

And that's more than you wanted to know... :)

Reply to
dpb

OK, try this:

30/7=4.82571428571, which checks to 7*4.82571428571=30

I rounded off at 3 sig dec. Feel free to check it w/ the full answer. If you want the answer in teaspoons or moles (both mass), I can do that, too. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 08/08/2016 11:33 AM, Jack wrote: ...

My recollection is that there was an essentially one-time uptick owing to the capital gains reduction from pent-up demand for capturing profits that anticipation of reduction had built up. But that when that was over, revenue wasn't that great...but, that's purely recollection, I didn't go look at actual numbers again to double-check...

IOW, I'm thinking the larger picture difference is it was both effects, not just the spending side (albeit Congress has spent like a drunken sailor ever since :( )???

Reply to
dpb

Whelp, if you have a magic wand to switch everything instantly to metric, (or imperial) please wave it, few to none "old fogeys" will mind. As it stands things are a big mess that has nothing to do with

*fear, stubbornness and independence*, nor age, for that matter. It has to do with what you are asking, a phase in from imperial to metric. 90% of my machines are imperial, and I am not about to toss any of them because a couple of whippersnappers that can't handle fractions have a hard on over metric.

If my great grandchildren are lucky, they will still be using my machinery if they can afford the space and electricity to run them. Personally, I have benefited exactly ZERO from the switch, and my great grandchildren undoubtedly will need two sets of tools, two sets of hardware, and will also have benefited exactly zero from the switch.

Reply to
Jack

dpb wrote in news:no7eva$msl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Milk will someday be sold in the US in 1-liter, 2-liter, and 3.75-liter containers, probably within the next ten years or so -- but people will still be calling them quart, half-gallon, and gallon for another couple of generations.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thank you... ;~)

And hey, you probably had that all bottled up and needed to let it out. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Also in Suffolk:

The Anglo-Saxon burial mound near Woodbridge, overlooking the Deben Estuary. I think Larry's explanation of "Hoo" is probably correct. Graham

Reply to
graham

The evidence does not support your assertion. He (Mr. Reagan) increased taxes every year for the last seven years of his time in office, to fix what he broke with the initial tax cuts. His spending on star wars, the Bone et alia also helped increase the deficit _and_ the debt.

"Despite the conservative myth that tax cuts somehow increase revenue, the government went deeper into debt and Reagan had to raise taxes just a year after he enacted his tax cut. Despite ten more tax hikes on everything from gasoline to corporate income, Reagan was never able to get the deficit under control."

Scott Lurndal

That answer is even farther off by about 10%.

The result is 33.77999999997

7 x 4.28571428571428 is even closer but not perfect, 29.99999999999996

You cannot always divide "perfectly" with out using fractions.

A nonfraction equation is close but not as precise as (4 & 2/7) x 7 = 30

Reply to
Leon

Yeah. :~)

And while they were at it they should have just said that 25mm is 1". That would have made precise conversions very easy.

But nooooooo they had to add the extra .4mm to make an inch. LOL

Reply to
Leon

graham wrote in news:noa58p$jp6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Was born in Chelmsford. My relatives now live around Dedham, which is almost in Suffolk.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I go there every year as my sister, who lives just the other side of the border at Capel St.Mary gets her meat from the Dedham butcher. I had lunch at the Talbooth a couple of months ago. Graham

Reply to
graham