I did SO Google Dado blades!

Page 3 of 3

Rick M (in ommLg.5981$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com) said:
| Well stated. While a CNC router is not the "only tool you'll ever | need", it sure does some jobs much better (go ahead and ask me!). | Rob has been looking at CNC routers for some time now ... and I was | just reminding him that this was yet another job that might be | better done (expecially in volume) with a CNC router.
The CNC router offers two advantages: (1) It can really boost productivity for many repetitive shaping operations; and (2) It can provide a fairly high degree of precision when that's what's needed.
I cut a bunch of (stopped) dados today in hard maple. Pix posted to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. The job could have been done with a conventional router; but I was glad to unleash the CNC.

Morris, as I understand it, one of the beauties of the CNC is that, after the process starts, the operator can think about/do other things, while the CNC does its cutting. At least while the machine has material.
In other words, it multiplies operator time by some positive factor, after the setup.
I'm a hobby guy, and I enjoy the work, but I dread repetitive machine operations. They bore me, and threaten to bite body parts without major operator attention. But this CNC stuff interests me a lot.
Patriarch
Patriarch (in Xns98365B76C2E53gmadsencomcastnet@216.196.97.136) said:
| Morris, as I understand it, one of the beauties of the CNC is that, | after the process starts, the operator can think about/do other | things, while the CNC does its cutting. At least while the machine | has material.
True for large 3D jobs; but most of the stuff I do is 2D or 2-1/2D like the photos I posted. These jobs run for such a short time that there's barely time to pour a cup of coffee before they've finished. :-(
On the other hand, it /does/ take time to produce the command file that controls the machine. This can either be done via a CAD drawing file or, as is most usual in my operation, hand code the file. I've found that I can generally produce better toolpath optimizations and very much smaller part programs (by three or four orders of magnitude) than the automatic conversions. Again there's that downside that the programs don't run long enough for me to do much other work between start and finish.
| In other words, it multiplies operator time by some positive | factor, after the setup.
It does that; but seldom by facilitating multi-tasking. The multiplication is by doing the work very much faster - and by getting the job done right _every_ time.
| I'm a hobby guy, and I enjoy the work, but I dread repetitive | machine operations. They bore me, and threaten to bite body parts | without major operator attention. But this CNC stuff interests me | a lot.
It's good technology - and it's neither as complex nor as difficult to deal with as you'd imagine. Basically, it's a matter of telling the machine to move the center of the end of the cutting tool to location (x,y,z) - over and over and over again. It's really just a 3D plotting device.
Morris Dovey (in 44fe16ca$0$10307$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net) said:
| I cut a bunch of (stopped) dados today in hard maple. Pix posted to | news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. The job could have been done | with a conventional router; but I was glad to unleash the CNC.
I do seem to have trouble remembering that not everyone has access to the binary groups. :-/
I've put copies of the pix on a page at the link below. (Sorry)
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/STray.html
Freud is still the best in my opinion...
http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/sawblades/Dadoes/html/Dadoes_1.html
I have two sets... a 8" and a 10" and they are very nice.
The dial up model does appeal to me very much...