I decided to install SP2 after ruining a piece of my latest project

Page 2 of 2

David wrote:

Now that box was something. Built like a tank -- but generally useless as H***.
Company I worked for wanted the staff to sell them. I just laughed. They never sold. Got used as anchors. They missed the market by about 2 or 3 years.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
David wrote:

Fidonet forever.

Nope, too new DEC TOPS 20
--
Throckmorton P. Ruddygore

Those are fairly nice boxes.
I'd rather have a CDC 6600, though.
wonderfully simple hardware instruction set. *So* simple, in fact, that the machine *couldn't*add*. It performed addition by "complement and subtract". :) (yes, there _was_ a good reason way it did things that way, too.)
No 'privileged mode' or anything like it. CPU HALT was a valid "user level" instruction ; did _exactly_ that ; and was the standard/accepted way for an application to indicate that it was finished.

Remember? Hell, I've still _got_ one.
That was the computer that displayed 132 columns to every other's 80, right? That's my recollection of it, anyway, when looking to buy a PC circa 1984 or maybe '83. I was leery of getting an OS that seemed at the time to not be "the standard". I finally settled on a AT&T 6300. $2500. Monochrome. No mouse. 20 Meg HD. Slooow. DOS 5.0. A POS dot matrix 9-pin Okidata to go along with it. I was so stupid I spent nearly as much on a plain paper feeder for it, which never worked right; it would feed a random number of sheets, instead of one at a time. I ended up using it only with fan-fold paper.
A related note regarding standards: I also avoided Betamax and went with a mammoth sized, overpriced RCA SelectaVison with a 4 event timer and WIRED remote. I still can't believe I paid $1299 for that monstrosity! Back then, there were enough good shows on at the same time to warrant recording them. I can't remember when I've lasted taped a TV program. I don't own a TIVO.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Hey! I remember those. I did a major batch of d-Base programming on one of those.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I still shudder when I think of Ashton-Tate and dot prompts....

yep, Windoze users are always good for a laugh.