I can't remove my drill chuck

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of tool to use in the set screw.
For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last option.
If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.
--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

I should have mentioned that skill.com is refusing connections.
--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

Mark Healey wrote:

That's the ticket.
Try http://www.skil.com /
Get the "L" outta there<g>
Mark Healey wrote:

There's only one "L" in Skil. Try:
http://www.skil.com/homepage.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:03:57 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

Mark - If you feel like being experimental - all the ones I've changed (only 3 or 4) have been phillips and left-hand thread.
jim bailey

For drill chuck removal try this. Chuck up the largest allen wrench you can with the long side sticking up from the chuck. Give it a sharp rap with a hammer counter clockwise to loosen the screw. Remove the allen wrench and chuck screw (left hand thread). Re-chuck the allen wrench and give it a sharp rap clockwise and the chuck should come loose.
Jim Bailey wrote:

Sorry, I got it bass-ackwards. Turn it clockwise first, then counter-clockwise. To replace the chuck, screw it back on, tighten the screw and then rap it clockwise and give the screw a final tightening.
Jonah wrote:

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:47:30 -0400, Jonah wrote:

According to the manual on their web site (I can now find it, thanks guys) it is a phillips and works like all other drills.
The problem is that there is no screw visible. It looks like either some crud got forced into it or the head got totally stripped.
Now I'm wondering if I can put a normal bit in a vice and run the drill against it, sort of like an easy-out.
--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
If it is a plastic chuck, I would cut part of it up to free the jaws and the top part so you can see better in there.
Christian

My corded Skil drill has a "Jacobs" taper fitting chuck.That's why I can't see a screw when I look down the chuck. I know this because I was using a 1" dia masonry bit in it and the vibration shook the chuck off the drill. It wouldn't stay on after that until I let the drill cool and heated the chuck to shrink it on. When the chuck finally failed I heated it to get it off so I could replace it. Hope this helps!

You'll need to get a flashlight or somehow determine what kind of tool to use to remove the retaining screw. Plain slotted screws were pretty common on older keyed chucks, but who knows what is used today? Do you still have instructions for your drill? Remember, the retaining screw has a left hand thread, turn clockwise to remove, the chuck has a normal right hand thread, turn counterclockwise to remove.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland