I can't remove my drill chuck

I have a small corded Skill drill with a keyless chuck. One of the jaws doesn't travel with the other two. I decided to replace the chuck. I went out and bought one and when I got home I found I couldn't remove the old one. I can't see down there very well so I don't know what kind of tool to use in the set screw.

For reasons that would bore everyone here, replacing the drill is the last option.

If anybody has the manual could you please tell me how to remove the chuck.

Reply to
Mark Healey

I should have mentioned that skill.com is refusing connections.

Reply to
Mark Healey

try

ATP*

That's the ticket.

Try

the "L" outta there

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Reply to
The Tick

There's only one "L" in Skil. Try:

no(SPAM)vasys

Mark - If you feel like being experimental - all the ones I've changed (only

3 or 4) have been phillips and left-hand thread.

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Reply to
Jonah

Reply to
Jonah

According to the manual on their web site (I can now find it, thanks guys) it is a phillips and works like all other drills.

The problem is that there is no screw visible. It looks like either some crud got forced into it or the head got totally stripped.

Now I'm wondering if I can put a normal bit in a vice and run the drill against it, sort of like an easy-out.

Reply to
Mark Healey

If it is a plastic chuck, I would cut part of it up to free the jaws and the top part so you can see better in there.

Christian

Reply to
Christian

My corded Skil drill has a "Jacobs" taper fitting chuck.That's why I can't see a screw when I look down the chuck. I know this because I was using a 1" dia masonry bit in it and the vibration shook the chuck off the drill. It wouldn't stay on after that until I let the drill cool and heated the chuck to shrink it on. When the chuck finally failed I heated it to get it off so I could replace it. Hope this helps!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

You'll need to get a flashlight or somehow determine what kind of tool to use to remove the retaining screw. Plain slotted screws were pretty common on older keyed chucks, but who knows what is used today? Do you still have instructions for your drill? Remember, the retaining screw has a left hand thread, turn clockwise to remove, the chuck has a normal right hand thread, turn counterclockwise to remove.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman