I can't find it! a random lament

Page 2 of 3
Nova wrote:

I usually quit looking after I find it at the last place I look. I mean, why keep looking after you have found it?

Unless...
I recall looking for something and finding my can of turpentine. I remember thinking, "I wonder if turp would be an acceptable substitute" for whatever it was that I was looking. I remember thinking, 'Nah, I better find the right stuff". And eventually did.
Now, I'm looking for the turp, can't find it, can't recall what I was doing in the above scenario to know where to look for it (besides my whole house that I've gone over twice).
I'm sure it will pop up - after I've bought another can.
Renata
"Renata" wrote in message

I never have trouble finding anything ... when I finally get around to looking in the place I last left it, that is.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

I have a variant of this. Whenever I tidy up (get someone old to explain what this means ;-)) and throw stuff out (again...), I always, always, need something I have thrown out, usually within a week. Often its wood scraps, sometimes its a 10-year-old tin of paint with an inch in the bottom, or some useful metal bracket thats been sitting around gathering dust for 15 years. Within a week of throwing it, I will realise it was perfect for the project I am doing.
C-Nile virus again maybe.

*disgusted tone* Oh no! SOMEBODY CLEANED!
It's not that I don't like clean surfaces and all, it's just I like finding things more. Clutter = busy = happy. :-)
Puckdropper

Renata wrote:

I know where your can of turp is! And why is it sitting on the tank of our toilet in the half bath? It's been there for about 2 years. Maybe I'll just ask the wife.

If you 'd be so kind as to share the location as soon as she tells you, I'd surely appreciate it.
;-)
Renata
Renata wrote:

Location of what? The turp? It's on the toilet tank in the half bath. But why? Why is the turp sitting on the toilet tank? *that* is *your* turp, isn't it?
:)

This is getting forwarded to alt.humor.best-of-usenet
:-)
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

I am the "go to" guy at work when it comes to computer repair. A lady brought in her computer that needed XP installed on it. It worked when it left my house. A couple weeks later when she finally had time to hook it all up, it didn't work. She complains to a co-worker, "I don't think Fud Pucker knows what he is doing!" The co-worker tells me about it. She later comes to me and tells me, "Fud, it's not working. There is an error on my screen about no signal, and the screws on the back won't let me put the plug in, blah, blah, blah..." "Well, it sounds like you are trying to plug the monitor cable in upside down!" She replies with, "Hey, I'm not stupid. Remember me telling you several weeks ago in the break room about me taking computer classes in school? I have my CNA certification. Anyhow, <name of co-worker> is coming over tonight to look at it!" I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Well, he knows a whole lot more about computers than I do. He's good" I went out to the co-worker and told him it sounds like she is trying to plug the monitor cable in upside down, told him what to look for. I was at home eating supper later that night and the phone rings. It was the co-worker laughing and telling me I was right...it was the cable upside down. Yes, she is blond.
user wrote:

He fixed it ... it's HIS problem now. ;-)
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote:
| I guess I should clean up my shop.
Me too - as soon as I can find my glasses and a broom...
" snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com" wrote

It won't help. It's the inanimate objects. They aren't really inanimate. I discovered that with extension cords. No matter how carefully I position them they will become entangled and it doesn't matter where you put things; they have a way of moving to another location. You just have to learn to live with it.
Max

<snip>
That explains a lot. I found your case behind my router last week. Couldn't figure out what in the heck it was for.
Just checked... it's gone again...
Tue, Aug 21, 2007, 7:57am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com ( snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com) doth lament thusly: <snip> And I spend far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have them turn up months later... <snip>
No prob. I've got it all figured out. When I was younger I could concentrate on half dozen for more projects at a time, switching from one to another, with no problem. But, now that I'm older, my concentration has greatly increased. I think of it along the lines of a dozen or more railroad tracks, side by side. There I am, zipping along in an engine, concentrating on something, and disregarding all else. Then something comes along and distracts me, someone asking something like, "Are you busy?", springs to mind. Then, because the concentration is so intense, the sudden reaction is like jumping to another track entiredly. Your train of thought is lost. Then no matter how hard you try, you may not get a branch line taking you back to your original track for days, weeks, months, and on occassion, never. So you can stop blaming it on old age, and now you can blame it on your intense concentration. Simple. No prob. What was I talking about?
On Aug 22, 12:40?am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

You know you really have a problem when the focus of the intense concentration was tying your shoe lace!
FobbyTown Most of my projects' best features started out as mistakes!

<snip> So you can stop

We have a well known sportscaster/social commentator here, who claims that his measure of 'having arrived in life' is not having to tie his shoelaces...
Patriarch, barefoot and in shorts...
Wed, Aug 22, 2007, 10:19am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net (Patriarch) doth sayeth: We have a well known sportscaster/social commentator here, who claims that his measure of 'having arrived in life' is not having to tie his shoelaces...
Too senile to tie 'em on his own?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in

Too involved in the rest of life to give a darn. Whether they were tied, or whether anyone else cared.
Patriarch

He has people to tie them. His people have people.