I can't find it! a random lament

Page 1 of 3
An experience I have all too frequently is buying something I already own. And using it before I discover that I had it already. And I spend far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have them turn up months later...
The other day I was looking for something (I forget what) and I came upon a heavy duty two-prong plug. A few ago I went to several hardware stores looking for a heavy-duty two-prong (no ground) plug to replace a broken plug on a vacuum cleaner. I ended up buying a three-prong plug and sticking an adapter on it. On Saturday I was looking through my shop for something else (I forget what) and I found a never-used heavy-duty two-prong plug.
A few weeks ago I used a self-centering drill bit (a Vix bit) that I'd had for years in a clear plastic case. When I was done, I couldn't find the case--even though I had had it just an hour before. A few days later I found the case and now I can't find the bit. I've turned my shop over looking for it. Still no bit. I had to buy a new one.
A few months before that I'd been using a porter-cable orbital sander hooked up to a vacuum cleaner for dust collection. When I went to put the built-in dust collector back on the sander, I couldn't find it. A few weeks later I found the dust collector, and now I can't find the sander. This is the first time I've mislaid something that big.
It's not a tool, but I bought a lawn sprinker to replace one that broke. Two days later I found the even better lawn sprinkler I'd bought last year on sale, to be prepared for when one broke....
It goes on and on...
I guess I should clean up my shop.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:57:45 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com"

I'm sorry you have to go through that, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Misery does love company.
Seems like every hour I spend in the shop consists of 55 minutes looking for 'whatever' and 5 minutes doing the job. Everything has a place and nothing's in it.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

you have the perfect opportunity here to build yourself a bunch in rolling cabinets with drawers.

Now where did that cabinet go?

I had some floor space for a cabinet lying around here somewhere.......
jc

I'll clean my shop as soon as I find it. I'd swear I just used it the other day.

Recently, I was at the Borg, looking for a replacement bulb. I couldn't seem to remember the word Halogen. The associate said I had a case of CRS. ( Can't Remember Sh_t). Gray hair will do that to you. Joe G

dont worry! soon it will advance to craft ! cant remember a F#$KIN THING! :-]>
SKEEZ
skeez wrote:

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least once a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers came back to me.

I shouldn't laugh; I worry about that very thing every time I step touch the combination dial. But I DO have it written down and kept in a SAFE place. Uh, that probably won't help.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

I hope it's not in the safe.
message

I have long list of items that I've put in safe places, places where I absolutely CANNOT forget where they are. They surely are safe, as they'll never get found and used again.

You probably ought to write those numbers down somewhere where you won't forget them. I'll tell you what... You post your home address and safe combination to the wRECk, and you'll always be able to find them and make sure it's yours (that's where your home address comes in.) ;-)
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

LOL!
A. The safe is at the office. B. There is nothing in it except our weekly computer back-up cd's and a few bucks petty cash. C. There are 2 other guys I could have asked for the combination had my pride allowed it. :-)

A post-it stuck on the door should help. Oh!
Oh it's grand when the things that you can't do without have at last got so hopelessly strayed that regardless of where you start rooting about, you will hit upon one you'd mislaid.
=== Piet Hein, "Within Reach" _Grooks 4_
Won't help now, but I've developed a habit - when I can't find something, and eventually I _do_ find it, I put it in the first place I looked for it.
Over time everything ends up where your subconcious thinks it is, so the next time you find it quicker.
FWIW Mike
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:57:45 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com"

Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

I usually put it back in the last place that I found it because chances are, if I found it there once, I'm going to find it there again.

I am truly impressed.
jc
Joe wrote:

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA