I can't change the blade on a B & D miter saw.

Black & Decker miter sale model 7715 type 3.
I bought this saw at a garage sale. the seller cut a board, said it needs a blade. But, I can't remove the old blade. The armature of the motor turns when I try to turn the blade nut. If I "jam" the blade so it can't turn, the armature still turns. How do I lock the motor to remove the blade?

Are you *absolutely* sure you're turning the arbor nut in the right direction to loosen it?
Black and Decker? I thought they just made disposables. If the blade is dull throw outthe saw and buy one with a fresh blade. ;^)
Actually, if it is slipping when you hold the balde then it isn't so tight it shouldn't be able to break it loose. If there is no obvious brake, which I assume there isn't I can think of two options.
1. See if there is any cooling opening in the moter wherby you can gently JAM in a screwdriver or other implement to hold the motor while you work the nut.
2. If you have a hammer\impact drill and can set it up with a socket, that will surely breal it loose, as long as it is spinning the right direction. Nothing works better than vibration. Along that same line, holdingthe blade and doing some light tapping on an open end or box wrench can have the same effect.
Also might try some wd40 or other penetrating rust\sieze killer but of it gets between the blade and washer it will more easily slip so be careful.

I don't know if you have the manual or not, but it says to push the blade into the table top to keep it from turning. Doesn't sound like that will help you much if the arbor is still turning.
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/741086-02,7715%20type%202-3.pdf
Also, I noticed that that saw was the subject of a recall.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml88/88071.html
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

You'd think he'd be suspicious when after asking the guy how long he had the saw, the guy help up three fingers and said, "four years."
--

-MIKE-

ROFL .... now to get the coffee out of the keyboard ;)
diggerop
I'm not familiar with this particular saw, but many have a little "button" near the point where the shaft protrudes from the housing that fits into a keyway or kerf in the shaft. If there is none, I'd consider jambing the blade as suggested, then using an air impact wrench to loosen the bolt holding the blade to the shaft. Also, be sure to look and see that the bolt is designed to turn the way you're turning it. For a shaft protruding out the right side of the motor, it's normally a ccw operation looking toward the motor from the bolt. For a shaft on the other side, like on a RAS or many chop saws, the bolt is typically the opposite thread, as I recall.
Nonny
message wrote:

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/741086-02,7715%20type%202-3.pdf
--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
Tom, make sure you are turning it the proper way. All saw blades, no matter what piece of equipment, need to have the nut the same direction as the saw blade turns to remove. I assume your motor is on the right, blade on the left and that it turns clockwise when running. Turn the nut clockwise to remove.
As others have said, I'm fairly sure the saw has an armature lock (the one that shows up on Amazon does). If you can't find one, use a scrap piece of wood set just like you planned to cut it. Cram the blade into the board. Turn the nut clockwise. If the armature turns and the blade does not, there is a different problem - the threads are hurt or the nut is rusted on.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Tom wrote:

Tom wrote:

In addition to the other good suggestions, slather the nut and shaft with nut-release juice.
Nut-release juice? <Insert your own joke here.>

I'm SURE I got some spam with that in the Subject line.....

If there is enough space between the nut and the end of the shaft drill a small hole through the shaft end so you can get a awl or other rod in place to hold the shaft still while loosing the nut.