I bought a drill press finally

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today. my wife works at ACE Hardware and they have an ACE drill press on sale and their brown bag sale is coming up in a few weeks. I was looking at that one being a 10" 1/4 motor but they pointed out that they had a Delta 12' 1/3hp in the ware house for 179.99, so I did some looking and saw that the tool crib has it for the same price but the S/H was 60 dollars. I will pass at that. I had some points build up with ACE that came to 50.00 so the DP only cost me 140.00 out the door.

Sorry I do not have the room for floor models. Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench grinder/ wire wheel on the same stand..

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

You will be delightfully surprised at how useful it will be. So will your neighbors once they find out you have it.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

Wood magazine idea shop 5 has a flip top cabinet that might give you some ideas

Ray

I have the Delta 12" tool. ShopNotes had a nice wall mounted stand (with one drawer) for it that I built. I like it. Plenty of room underneath it for a variety of cra^H^H^Hstuff.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Hint...

Go out to the "dollar" store and get one of those clip-on-the-belt key-chain retractors. Open up the belt clip, drill a hole (if necessary), and mount it on the side of the drill press. clip the chuck key to the ned of the retractor. The key will then always be handy to the chuck, but will get itself out of the way when you remove it.

JK

Reply to
John O. Kopf

If you had the room for a stand, you had the room for a floor model. These things are quite top heavy and tend to have small footprints.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That is a really, really, really good idea. Thanks, John.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I tried that routine... didn't like the cord getting in the way.

First I dremeled off the po> Hint...

Reply to
tiredofspam

I did the same with a LARGE rare earth magnet... I can no longer remove that chuck key...

tiredofspam wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

It is, too. Perfect solution to the problem of forgetting to put the key back into the little holder flummy. I originally tried just using a piece of fishing line to tie it to the holder, but I realized how stupid that was the first time I had to untangle all that finishing line from the arbor/quill/whateveryoucallit. Oops. The dollar store key retractor flummy is the best solution out there to this particular problem. Just long enough to reach, retracts fast. Good, sound advice.

Reply to
Silvan

Hi, you should try to grab a copy of the following book:

The Drill Press Book: Including 80 Jigs & Accessories You Can Make by R.J. De Cristoforo ISBN: 0830636099

I did a few months ago for around $20 but these days... the highest price I've seen online is $156 and the lowest $22, really cool book.

Reply to
AAvK

I think I will look the book up. and take in consideration everything I have read on this post. I have some rearranging to do in my little side of the garage trying to organize what I have and were it should go.... I like welding and wood working so I am getting cluttered full of tools..

I get to have 1/2 half of a two car garage and half of it have my tools. (12' X 9'w) W / D is taking up the rest of the room "toys on the floor" 2 mig welders, (one 4 sale)

1 O/A torch set 1 Craftsman job site T/S 1 4 X 6 H / V metal band saw 2 Air comp. 1 Bench top DP (now) 2 Tool rolling cabinets full lots of WW tools in a cabinet I built 24w X 6' high full Miter saw Scroll Saw cordless drills and extra battery packs for both dewalt biscuit jointer sanders welding right angle grinders bla bla bla. your get the picture

I was thinking about building a wall and shelf off one side and use the other side for rolling tools. I might be able to walk in the middle.

I do not buy any wood till I need it do to the lack of space... Steel is outside already.

This will be fun organizing

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

Joe Gorman

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:48:02 -0500, the inscrutable Joe Gorman spake:

This trick is about $300 cheaper since I didn't pull a Tim the Toolman trick like Pat did.

Here's my quick and dirty solution, but it's the best one I've ever tried.

I took a dime-sized rare-earth magnet, tossed it on the front of the steel drill press head, and stuck the chuck key to it. Voilá! It's so strong that it holds the key out straight, by the end of the rod.

Cost: About $1. Time to install: About 1 second. Thanks to whichever Wrecker suggested that a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lee Valley has a RE magnet with a standoff of about 3/4" that I use. Mine is on the side but it works anyplace metal and convenient.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski