I bought a drill press finally

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today. my wife works at ACE Hardware and they have an ACE drill press on sale and their brown bag sale is coming up in a few weeks. I was looking at that one being a 10" 1/4 motor but they pointed out that they had a Delta 12' 1/3hp in the ware house for 179.99, so I did some looking and saw that the tool crib has it for the same price but the S/H was 60 dollars. I will pass at that. I had some points build up with ACE that came to 50.00 so the DP only cost me 140.00 out the door.
Sorry I do not have the room for floor models. Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench grinder/ wire wheel on the same stand..
Don D.

You will be delightfully surprised at how useful it will be. So will your neighbors once they find out you have it.
Dick Durbin Tallahassee
Wood magazine idea shop 5 has a flip top cabinet that might give you some ideas
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/462.xml&categoryid=/templatedata/wood/category/data/Wood_Magazine_Shop_Tours.xml&page

I have the Delta 12" tool. ShopNotes had a nice wall mounted stand (with one drawer) for it that I built. I like it. Plenty of room underneath it for a variety of cra^H^H^Hstuff.
Hint...
Go out to the "dollar" store and get one of those clip-on-the-belt key-chain retractors. Open up the belt clip, drill a hole (if necessary), and mount it on the side of the drill press. clip the chuck key to the ned of the retractor. The key will then always be handy to the chuck, but will get itself out of the way when you remove it.
JK
Don D. wrote:

That is a really, really, really good idea. Thanks, John.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

It is, too. Perfect solution to the problem of forgetting to put the key back into the little holder flummy. I originally tried just using a piece of fishing line to tie it to the holder, but I realized how stupid that was the first time I had to untangle all that finishing line from the arbor/quill/whateveryoucallit. Oops. The dollar store key retractor flummy is the best solution out there to this particular problem. Just long enough to reach, retracts fast. Good, sound advice.
I tried that routine... didn't like the cord getting in the way.
First I dremeled off the point that pushed the key out... can't stand that bugger.. Then I attached a rare earth magnet to the front of the machines pulley cover. I just stick the key there each time... Nothing in the way...
John O. Kopf wrote:

I did the same with a LARGE rare earth magnet... I can no longer remove that chuck key...
tiredofspam wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Joe
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:48:02 -0500, the inscrutable Joe Gorman

<g>
This trick is about $300 cheaper since I didn't pull a Tim the Toolman trick like Pat did.
Here's my quick and dirty solution, but it's the best one I've ever tried.
http://diversify.com/wood/chuckkeyholder.jpg I took a dime-sized rare-earth magnet, tossed it on the front of the steel drill press head, and stuck the chuck key to it. Voil! It's so strong that it holds the key out straight, by the end of the rod.
Cost: About $1. Time to install: About 1 second. Thanks to whichever Wrecker suggested that a few weeks ago.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

Lee Valley has a RE magnet with a standoff of about 3/4" that I use. Mine is on the side but it works anyplace metal and convenient.
Don D. wrote:

If you had the room for a stand, you had the room for a floor model. These things are quite top heavy and tend to have small footprints.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The Drill Press Book: Including 80 Jigs & Accessories You Can Make by R.J. De Cristoforo ISBN: 0830636099
I did a few months ago for around $20 but these days... the highest price I've seen online is $156 and the lowest $22, really cool book.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com