i am dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Page 1 of 3
i backed out of my garage today, with the driver door open. folded it right up against my fender. luckily no damage to the garage. its not the end of the world, ill get a door at the junkyard tomorrow and im sure it will be fixed by tuesday, but boy do i feel stupid.
thought i'd pass this along so hopefully someone else wont do it..
randy
Don't feel bad, once I backed into my garage with my new pickup cap door still up. Hit the door header real nicely. Damn, that tempered glass sure makes a loud noise...... Mark
xrongor wrote:

I share your pain. I once came home from a bike ride, with my bike attached to the roof of my car. As I drove up the driveway I automatically reached for the garage door opener, pressed it, and proceeded PART WAY into the garage...
I did $1,600 damage to the car, bent the hell outta the bike's front forks and tweaked the bike rack pretty good too. The only item involved in my faux pax left undamaged was the garage door (wooden).
dave
xrongor wrote:

We see this twice a year or so at the bike shop I work at, and I have two neighbors with identical dents in the siding above the garage door.
Put the remote in a Ziploc that says "BIKE ON ROOF" in big magic marker letters, then put it in the glove box. <G>
FWIW, we see even more wrecked bikes from people backing into things with hitch racks, so don't feel too bad.
Barry
Barry writes:

Yeah, well...I recall, many years ago while I was still making stupid mistakes, washing my FIL's nearly new Olds. Had it near the house, started to back it up, realized there wasn't quite enough room, so drove forward a few feet, to the crunching noise of the bucket full of dirty water. Back in the days of galvanized buckets.
Charlie Self "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine
So now you're only making smart mistakes?? ;-) Mark
Charlie Self wrote:

Mark Mark responds:

Of course. Practice is part of learning. Thus, the mistakes today are smarter, even if I'm not.
Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides
Charlie,
I'll bet that Olds is a classic today, if you were washing from a galvanized bucket!
Bob

mistakes,
it up,

the
appearance
Bob notes:

I tried to recall. I think about a '68. Might have been a '69. Might also have been a '67.
Somewhere in there. I washed it right after I washed my '68 Barracuda 340S.
Charlie Self "Wars spring from unseen and generally insignificant causes, the first outbreak being often but an explosion of anger." Thucydides

man i wont even put a bike on top of my car, i see that coming lol.
thx to all who shared. now i dont feel so dumb, well i still feel dumb but i know im in good company <g> found a bolt on solution (i.e. same color type make, etc) door for 150. now lets hope the frame doesnt need too much hammering to get the door to close properly!! its hard to tell but it looks like the hinges bent and the frame is still pretty much in place.
peace randy
I have one that's even on-topic for the NG. I was doing some work outdoors on a nice sunny day, realized I needed some more lumber, got in my van to head over to the Borg, and backed over my miter saw.
Lee

you didn't see saw?
<<you didn't see saw?>>
Sigh.

Sad...

Si. So, sue. <shamelessly parodied from the Mel Blanc original>

Sorry.
What are you doing with a car in the garage in the first place?? Dont you know a garage is for woodworking! Not parking in! Geez!
Jim

but
much
looks
Barry, what I ended up doing was tossing the remote onto the backseat floor as I left home for a bike ride. Searching for it upon arriving home would be my final reminder there was a bike overhead. :)
dave
B a r r y wrote:

Friend of mine went through a drive-through with his bike on the top of his Isuzu Trouper. Same damage to bike and car as BAD described.
I've only backed over a suitcase that my FIL (never met a clean surface he couldn't fill up with stuff) left in the nice big empty car-size space in my garage. Geez, what do you think goes in that nice big empty car-size space in the garage?

Damn, I'm all set to get a hitch rack becuase I KNOW I'd drive into my garage with the bikes on the roof and now you have to go and tell me that!? I assumed if you can see the bikes in the rear window you wouldn't back into things....
Michael
-snip-

Is that a trick question? Everyone knows that's where you put your table saw?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA