I Am Curious

OK, I make some wooden banks, with various figures on the top. The figures are routed out of half inch plywood, in fact the entire bank is half inch plywood. The part at the bottom of the figure looks something like this.

///////////////////////////// =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0//=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0// =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0//=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0// ///////=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0///////

The top runs the width of the money box. The two "legs" are inset to accept the 1 5/16" tall sides. The "feet" at the bottom fit into slots routed into the box base. Once the "feet" are glued to the slots in the bottom, the sides are glued in, along with the front. Then a piece is glued on the top in front, and another on the top in back to create the money box. The back piece is slightly undersized and comes out to allow remove of the money. On the masters I use to rout out the figures, I've got the base as part of the bottom of the figures. However, I have a separate base I use to trace around when making a new design, so I will know the final height, when I'm making a new master.

Here's the thing. I'm going to change the height of the sides of the money box from 1 5/16" tall to 2 1/4" tall. I already know how I'm going to do this. But I'm curious about how some of you guys would do it. For those of you that don't know, I do not use a computer to develop any of my plans. At the most, pencil, ruler, maybe paper, that and my mind are all I use.

JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I'd post a message to rec.woodworking saying I was curious how someone else would do it ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sat, Feb 2, 2008, 7:51am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Lobby=A0Dosser) doth posteth: I'd post a message to rec.woodworking saying I was curious how someone else would do it ...

But I'm not curious about how someone else would do it, I'm curious about how some of you guys would do it.

JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I went ahead and did it, just the way I'd planned; it came out exactly the way I'd figureed, right on. Now just waiting for the glue to set

JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

brads?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sun, Feb 3, 2008, 3:42am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Lobby=A0Dosser) doth query: brads?

Nope, it's mine. But now that it's done, it gives me some new ideas, so I'm gonna redo it from scratch.

JOAT - who does not welcome thread question e-mails..

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

clamps?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

if it was a complicated piece, or one where I needed to document the construction to someone outside of my shop I'd use CAD. for something small and straightforward like your banks I'd draw it full size on paper, measure the changes from the drawing and validate the final dimensions in the actual material.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Sun, Feb 3, 2008, 10:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth sayeth: if it was a complicated piece, or one where I needed to document the construction to someone outside of my shop I'd use CAD. for something small and straightforward like your banks I'd draw it full size on paper, measure the changes from the drawing and validate the final dimensions in the actual material.

LMAO The only way I'd need to document this, or anything, for someone else is if I was selling plans. And, if I was, I wouldn't use CAD, I'd just draft it up. For this, and thing a lot more complicated, I don't draw any of it up, I just go out and start making it. A lot of it changes as I make it, or I see ways to make it faster, easier, and/or better, while I'm making it - then I make another. I'll probably go out in the shop later (got some things I've got to do first, and places to go), and just start cutting, then gluing. To validate the measurements I'll just use pieces that I know are already cut to size - for something else - and use them as checks. No prob.

Before I start anything like this, I think about it. Just close my eyes, and think about it. First, I think what I want. Then how I can do it. Then goover it all in my mind, and figure what will work best. I visualize this stuff - have been told some people can't. When I cut is usually the time for measurements. Sometimes, like I said, figure out a better way while I'm working on it. Plans? Plans? Don' need no steenki' plans. Besides, if I had plans, someone could steal all my ideas LMAO