Hydrocote

Does anyone in the group know where Hydrocote is, the phone number is no longer in service and they don't answer their email ? I've heard great things about it and would like to purchase some.

TIA

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

IMO, they can't be too great if the phone and email don't work. Somebody must not have paid the bills.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Highland Hardware in Atlanta carries (carried?) their stuff. Might be worth calling them to ask.

Henry Bibb

Ed Angell asks:

HYDROCOTE Company 61 Berry Street Somerset, NJ 08873-3504 1-800-229-4937 732-828-7448 Fax: 732-828-7325

And Highland Hardware, among others, carries it.

Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."

Charlie Self

Thanks to Charlie, he had the correct number and it still works, Sorry for the panic.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

Ed

I'm a Hydrocote user, questions?

Reply to
Rumpty

Lots of questions always, I see Hydrocote has a flattening paste, have you ever used it to control the gloss? If so, got any tips on how much to use in the mix ? For sanding dust nibs, can I use Stearated paper when I can't wet sand ?

TIA

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

Rumpty,

I use Hydrocote Super Lac and was thinking of adding their "amber" toner, which is supposed to give it the warmer look of Nitro Lacquer. Have you ever tried it, and does it really work?

Len

Rumpty wrote:

Reply to
lopez

I use their satin Hydrocote Resistane so I don't need the flatten paste. Resistane is a superb finish, shoots like a traditional lacquer, sands easily, (I use 330 paper from a peel and stick roll). Yes you can use a stearated paper. You don't need to wet sand. Wipe off dust with a damp (not wet) cotton cloth before additional coats. Two coats are adequate on an open grained wood like red oak. A closed grain like cherry loves 3 coats. I often use Minwax oil stains under the Resistane (a 2 to 8 hour window over Minwax). Also, there is no recoat window, Resistane can be recoated at any time with 100% burn in.

toner, which is supposed to give it the warmer look of Nitro Lacquer. Have you ever tried it, and does it really work?

Yup, I tint every gallon with about 4 ozs of Amber additive. It gives a nice warm look to the wood.

Reply to
Rumpty