hydro pole

A cedar hydro pole with a transformer in the lane behind the house caught fire one day. The hydro guys dropped a new pole in next to it and cut out the old one - 4 ft sections. I asked for the pieces and got them all figuring that there should be some nice old wood in there. After close examination of a cut line the outer 1 - 1 1/5 " was mostly punky rotted and the innner looked very good with straight radial cracks almost to the centre. I split the pole sections along the cracks with an axe into wedges. Ran the wedges into the band saw and cleaned up in the planer. Because of the radial cracks this wasted alot of wood.

I now have a bunch of 1/4 'sawn' cedar - still aromatic, about 3/4" wide random width.

Now I need a suitable project for this nice looking wood.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Makes good kindling.

Reply to
efgh

snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote: ...

Line small cedar chests or use it for decorative boxes, etc., is the obvious...

It can be edge glued successfully if needed, but for linings in particular, wouldn't be necessary.

Reply to
dpb

I don't want to startup the English vs. English thread again, but what is a hydro pole?

I'm taking hydro to mean water and since you say "pole with a transformer" I'm thinking of a telephone pole. Picturing a water line run between poles kinda makes me laugh. ;-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't want to start the English vs. English thread again, but what is a hydro pole?

I'm taking hydro to mean water, and since you said "pole with a transformer", I'm thinking of a telephone pole. Picturing a water line run between poles kinda makes me laugh. ;-)

Reply to
Mike

Hydroelectric ... means (originally) that the source of the electricity was moving water. Now the juice could come from nukes, solar or whatever and the pole termninology wouldn't change.

That's my story aqnd I'm sticking to it.

;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Pete's posting from mts.net which means he's from Manitoba, Canada (where I grew up just north of Winnipeg).

Virtually all power generation in Manitoba is hydroelectric. "Manitoba Hydro" is the name of the electric utility, so "hydro pole" is common usage.

Call it regional terminology...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If it weren't for all the work you did with it, I'd call that one a gloat. Cedar is insanely expensive in my neck of the woods- and hard to find these days.

Tradtional use is lining for chests, but it's nice for all sorts of things- especially outdoor furniture,

Reply to
Prometheus