Hybrid Tablesaws

I don't either but the original DeWalts came with a fence that you could not change out. Some used different sized miter slots.

Reply to
Leon

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is new information.

The FWW that arrived in my mailbox yesterday had a very favorable "first look" mini-review of a new Hitachi hybrid cabinet saw. The article stated the saw should sell ~ $1000.

FWW has the specs online:

It looks nice!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Hi Gus. I think you're correct in assuming (though it is an assumption) that I don't know everything about the Craftsman hybrids. To be honest, I've been burned too many times by Sears to really consider their hybrids. When I started woodworking I purchased nearly everything in their mid-price range and every single tool I bought turned out to be either poorly made or low on features compared to other makes for the same price. You mention that Orion makes their hybrids. I understand Sears tools are made by different manufacturers, even their current line of table saws have differing manufacturers. I've read many arguements that some manufacturers stink and others simply get bad specs/high tolerances from buyers. Again, my feeling is that if I'm burned once by a company I'm hesitant to go back for seconds. Perhaps the Sears hybrids deserve a second look but by the same token perhaps Sears should strive for better quality along every tool line or not post such silly things as horsepower ratings in huge lettering on their saws, shop vacs and other power equipment. Perhaps they should also try to get people who've actually used woodworking tools to sell them. In fact, perhaps they should get woodworkers to consult with the purchasers before they market their tools- call that a crazy idea but it's certainly helped build other woodworking tool companies.

Now, contrast Sears with my experience at a place I just went to yesterday in Atlanta- Redmond and Sons Machinery (a sister store of Rockler). They carried a range of machinery that would make you wet your pants if all you've ever been exposed to is Sears, Lowes and Home Depot. Strangely, however, the prices were still reasonable, and the staff knew exactly what they were selling. What's more is you could tell that every tool they sold was rock solid. They didn't carry anything that looked like it might break down in a year or two. No Ryobi, no Black and Decker, no Craftsman. I had that feeling I once had as a kid when, after years of my parents bringing me to Sears/Target/Wal-Mart/Penney's for BMX bikes then they finally bring me to a reputable bike store and I saw the GT's, Diamon Backs and Mongooses. It was a whole new world.

Now I've always read the suggestion that people should 'pick up a unisaw locally on the cheap' and recognize whole heartedly that many towns simply do not have such a great secondary tool market. My own that I currently live in (Columbus, GA) surely doesn't. But odds are every town in the US is probably a few hours drive at most to a larger city that does have the great deals and great stores. If you've settled on Sears you'd kick yourself in the butt later if you ever walked into a dedicated machinery/woodworking store and saw some of the things you can get. That's the experience I had with Sear's mid-range tools just compared with my local Lowes and Home Depot. After visiting Redmonds in Atlanta I can confidently say anyone would regret buying even the larger power tools from Sears if they took the time to visit a real dedicated machinery/woodworking store in a larger city.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

Barry, I read that review in FWW with intrest also. I found one review on the web that the author claimed it was a bit under powered when compared to other saws of the same type but it's definitely on my candidate list. I have no experience with Hitachi... folks seem to like them. Mike

Reply to
Mike Howland

Does that new Hitachi saw look alien? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Why are we calling them "hybrids?"

Reply to
resrfglc

I think they're probably like most other "pro" brands... Many good tools, some great, a few no so great.

Let us know what you find out.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Surprisingly, no!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Because their design is basically brand new. New within the last 6-8 years. IIRC DeWalt was the first. They some times look like a regular cabinet saw but typically have the guts and the power of a contractors saw. Some have propriatary accessories, miter gauges and fences.

Reply to
Leon

I've visited them all at one time or another.

For the quality/cost ratio, the Sears hybrids can't be beat.

Yes, I looked at Delta, Grizzly, General, etc,etc.........

I'm completely satisfied with my saw.

Reply to
Gus