Hybrid Tablesaws

Page 3 of 3
Why are we calling them "hybrids?"

Because their design is basically brand new. New within the last 6-8 years. IIRC DeWalt was the first. They some times look like a regular cabinet saw but typically have the guts and the power of a contractors saw. Some have propriatary accessories, miter gauges and fences.
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
<snip>

I've visited them all at one time or another.
For the quality/cost ratio, the Sears hybrids can't be beat.
Yes, I looked at Delta, Grizzly, General, etc,etc.........
I'm completely satisfied with my saw.
Hello again, I'd mentioned creative uses of table tops/work surfaces in an earlier post to help your situation. Here's a good example of how one author solved the same problem. As you see, this plan takes a decent benchtop model saw (Porter Cable), incorporates a router into the extension table, makes use of a very good fence (the Biesemeyer) and still provides storage underneath, while putting the entire thing on wheels to allow for a variety of shop set ups:
http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/TblSawCab.html
Hope this inspires a few good ideas. If not, they have a link to the plans. I strongly considered this set up myself but I have enough room for a decent contractor's saw. I read the reviews on the Delta you mentioned on Amazon. Those reviews really are a mixed bag. Most sound like they had a couple of quality control issues involved with a new product roll out. If anything, I know from my own experience Delta has outstanding customer saws. The kinds of issues the reviewers came across can really happen with any saw- particularly a new model. The important thing is whether you can actually talk to someone who will fix it or whether you get a website that says you're better off going to a local machine shop or sending the whole thing back. I would still put my money on a Delta over a similar costing model any day- especially a Craftsman.
Mike Howland wrote:

One more tidbit, If you're considering a cabinet saw I just came across an outstanding deal from Steel City. Their model 35601 is currently running on sale for $899.00!
http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pdf/steelcity_fall_us.pdf

Yeah, that is closer to a Hybrid, not a true cabinet saw although it does set on a cabinet. The 1.75hp motor is the give away and the typical smaller than normal adjustment wheels for the blade tilt and height adjustment.
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:28:23 GMT, Mike Howland

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is new information. <G>
The FWW that arrived in my mailbox yesterday had a very favorable "first look" mini-review of a new Hitachi hybrid cabinet saw. The article stated the saw should sell ~ $1000.
FWW has the specs online: <http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id (011>
It looks nice!
B A R R Y wrote:

Barry, I read that review in FWW with intrest also. I found one review on the web that the author claimed it was a bit under powered when compared to other saws of the same type but it's definitely on my candidate list. I have no experience with Hitachi... folks seem to like them. Mike
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:02:22 GMT, Mike Howland

I think they're probably like most other "pro" brands... Many good tools, some great, a few no so great.
Let us know what you find out.

<http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id (011>
Does that new Hitachi saw look alien? ;~)
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:53:00 GMT, "Leon"

Surprisingly, no!