Hybrid Saws / General 50-220

Sumone a few days ago was asking about the General 220, their hybrid saw.

The February 2005 issue of "Workbench" reviewed the General, the Sears ZipCode, the Jet Supersaw and the venerable DeWalt 746.

They loved the Sears and liked the General.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Thanks. Oddly through my shopping for these saws I have come to realize something... Most of them are not available to Canada.

Maybe I'm off, but I only know of one store in my area (Calgary) that sells Jet tools. Sears does not seen to carry the particular table saw. Grizzly does not shipp to Canada... This leaves few options. There are many cheap Canadian brands that I can find, but would not buy. Of course General is available. Delta...

I did see the General 220 in the showroom last night. It has a nice look and feel to it. The version they had was marked 2hp on the motor.

Tomorrow is the big day. I'll be going to make my final decision.

Reply to
Buster

The March issue of Woodcraft also had a feature on hybrids. That areticle didn't have the General but featured the Delta 36-716 instead. It also had the Jet Supersaw, The Craftsman 22124, and the DeWalt DW746. That article compared features andoperation among the various models but did not choose winners or losers.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I purchased the Sears hybrid about 3months ago. I bought the $650 model because I already owned an Incra TSII fence and didn't need the Beisemier fence that comes with the more expensive saw.

I really like this saw. It's not a unisaw, but it's more than enough for the average home woodworker. It's solid, well built, and accurate. To my suprise it was darn near perfectly aligned right out of the box. I tried it out on some 2" white oak using a thin kerf Forrest Woodworker II and had no problem making smooth easy cuts.

The best part is the price. Sears had the saw on sale for $600. I also got a

10% discount for bieng a craftsman club member. On top of that they took off another 10% because of a one day sales promotion for 10% off anything in the store. Sears also included with the saw a mail in coupon for a free 60 tooth blade, a stacked dado, and a dado throat plate!!

Bottom line is I only paid $517 including tax. For that price I think you'll have a hard time beating this saw.

Reply to
VirgilJ