HVLP Sprayer and Pancake Compressor

I am a finishing novice and am interested in spraying some finishes. I started looking into an HVLP sprayer. Is my 2HP, 6 gallon PC pancake compressor up to the job? If not, what recommendations do you have.
Thanks, Dick Fitzwell
Hi Dick, Let me start by saying I have never used an HVLP sprayer. But, from what I have read I believe your compressor will be too small. HVLP spray guns would require something like a minimum of 7scfm and about 25 gallon tank. However, if you want to try spraying finishes, take a look at a "Critter." Check the Lee Valley website for a picture and description. catalogue #03K03.01. They sell for $54.50 Canadian. I have one and use it with my 2hp, 4gallon compressor. You wouldn't want to paint your garage or your car with it but it works great if you are only spraying medium to smaller projects like boxes, cabinet doors, drawers etc. It uses standard mason jars to hold the finish. This is great because when you do multiple coats you can just seal up the jar and re-use it later. That's my 2 cents worth.
Keep your stick on the ice. Tony

Probably now, but look at the cfm of the compressor and compare it to the air requirements of the sprayer you are considering. The first number should be bigger than the second.
The short answer is no, it isn't. Not with the conversion gun technology available now.
Your options are to
1 - buy a big dual stage, oil lubed compressor, 3 HP plus putting out over 10 cfm at 90 psi with a 20 Gal tank, then buy a conversion gun to go with it.
2 - Go to Wal Mart or equivalent or auto supply store and get a Campbell Hausfeld non bleeder conventional gun, use it with you present compressor, and forget HVLP for awhile
3 - Buy a Rockler or Harbor Freight starter HVLP system for <$100.00 and get your feet wet before investing lots of bucks. These units are not as versatile in what they can spray but, with the right nozzle and viscosity, they will spray common finishes and stains quite well.
4 - Jump off the high board and go for a Fuji, accuspray, turbinaire, etc, high end HVLP system.
Notes.
An HVLP system, cheap or expensive, is no magic carpet ride to a perfect finish and either flavor, as well as a conversion gun or conventional system, are perfectly capable of giving you a perfect finish if you put the work into it.
HVLP system benefits are in the fact that the low pressure high volume results in less bounce back and over spray of material floating around in the air and more finish on the piece. Naturally that means better use of the finishing material. Transfer efficiency of a conventional system is about 35%, for a HVLP system 80% +
Judging from your post it would be far better for you if you were to do considerably more independent research into the subject of spraying before you even think about spending a dime.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

I have a DevIlbiss 1Hp 7 gal compressor and use a Sata MiniJet 2 and a Devilbiss SRi touch up gun both these guns require 3.7 CFM.
Yes you can use a 2HP 6gal pancake with these guns. PS. both the above guns are HVLP
Denny

Interesting, they have gotten it that low, even if it is in a touch up gun. What is the PSI required?
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
It is stamped on the gun handle. 29 PSI.
A touch up gun with a 8 oz cup allows you to do much.
Denny.

These guns are gravity feed by the way.
Denny

Hi Denny
Thanks for the info. Sorry, wasn't implying that because it was a tough up gun it wasn't a good thing.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

Mike, no I did not assume that is what you were implying I just provided that for general information. In summer I will be spraying my car with my touch up guns. How can this be possible some may wonder? Its possible by spraying sections of the car !
Denny