HVLP Sprayer and Pancake Compressor

I am a finishing novice and am interested in spraying some finishes. I started looking into an HVLP sprayer. Is my 2HP, 6 gallon PC pancake compressor up to the job? If not, what recommendations do you have.

Thanks, Dick Fitzwell

Reply to
Dick Fitzwell

Hi Dick, Let me start by saying I have never used an HVLP sprayer. But, from what I have read I believe your compressor will be too small. HVLP spray guns would require something like a minimum of 7scfm and about 25 gallon tank. However, if you want to try spraying finishes, take a look at a "Critter." Check the Lee Valley website for a picture and description. catalogue #03K03.01. They sell for $54.50 Canadian. I have one and use it with my 2hp, 4gallon compressor. You wouldn't want to paint your garage or your car with it but it works great if you are only spraying medium to smaller projects like boxes, cabinet doors, drawers etc. It uses standard mason jars to hold the finish. This is great because when you do multiple coats you can just seal up the jar and re-use it later. That's my 2 cents worth.

Keep your stick on the ice. Tony

Reply to
Tony Mo

Probably now, but look at the cfm of the compressor and compare it to the air requirements of the sprayer you are considering. The first number should be bigger than the second.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The short answer is no, it isn't. Not with the conversion gun technology available now.

Your options are to

1 - buy a big dual stage, oil lubed compressor, 3 HP plus putting out over 10 cfm at 90 psi with a 20 Gal tank, then buy a conversion gun to go with it.

2 - Go to Wal Mart or equivalent or auto supply store and get a Campbell Hausfeld non bleeder conventional gun, use it with you present compressor, and forget HVLP for awhile

3 - Buy a Rockler or Harbor Freight starter HVLP system for I am a finishing novice and am interested in spraying some finishes. I
Reply to
Mike G

If you get a gravity feed HVLP gun (ie. the cup is on the top) and limit your spraying to small areas, you should be ok.

Reply to
AL

I have a DevIlbiss 1Hp 7 gal compressor and use a Sata MiniJet 2 and a Devilbiss SRi touch up gun both these guns require 3.7 CFM.

Yes you can use a 2HP 6gal pancake with these guns. PS. both the above guns are HVLP

Denny

Reply to
Denny B

Interesting, they have gotten it that low, even if it is in a touch up gun. What is the PSI required?

Reply to
Mike G

It is stamped on the gun handle.

29 PSI.

A touch up gun with a 8 oz cup allows you to do much.

Denny.

finishes.

Reply to
Denny B

These guns are gravity feed by the way.

Denny

touch

Reply to
Denny B

Hi Denny

Thanks for the info. Sorry, wasn't implying that because it was a tough up gun it wasn't a good thing.

Reply to
Mike G

Mike, no I did not assume that is what you were implying I just provided that for general information. In summer I will be spraying my car with my touch up guns. How can this be possible some may wonder? Its possible by spraying sections of the car !

Denny

message

Reply to
Denny B