hvlp

Strongest recommendation - get yourself the disposable orange (sometimes blue) bulb type filter that screws into the air inlet of your gun. Drain your tank before spraying and use these filters every time you spray. They

*do* work. As I've said here before, I paint a lot of cars and I can assure you these devices do work and they cost under $10 for two of them. Leave them on your gun and you will get months and months of reuse out of them.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Let's see....new tools, new opinions of old posters, new opinions of new posters and it happens to be ON TOPIC and WHAT THE GROUP IS FOR.

JP

******************************************** Original topics only. No repeats. Redundant, ad nauseum political rantings are AOK.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
Jay Pique

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reading comprehension is a valuable asset - you should try it some time. I never suggested the post was OT. But then again, that wouldn't matter now, would it?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It sounds like you might want to take a break from your self appointed job of being group moderator. The stress is really starting to show.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

No, you decided that the question had been asked too many times.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

And you Frank seem to be taking exception with everyone here who suggests what is a long established usenet courtesy. Rebel without a cause?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And that (in paraphrase, though certainly not accurately) represented my opinion. Seems some like yourself have a great deal of difficulty with some opinions, if they are not in keeping with your own.

Reply to
Mike Marlow
[snip]

Dave,

I have the Graco 4900 procomp (built-in compressor for remote 2qt pot) with both a remote gun and a gun with a 1qt pot attached. I bought it since I had read that 4 stage turbines can paint latex but I've got to tell you I haven't been too successful. I have all the tips and experimented with several of them but can't get decent output past the tightest round spray pattern -- which isn't helpful at all when I'm trying to paint a door for example. Mind you it was xylene based paint vs water, but the viscosity was really similar to latex. I tried thinning but by the time I thinned it enough to spray I was hardly putting any paint down. Ugh. I just let it go to lack of experience with HVLP and finished the project (bedroom trim) as quick as possible and then cleaned up and put it back in the box.

Problem is it's still sitting there and I'm considering finishing my coffee table by hand because I'm not sure it's worth the trouble (I don't do enough work to probably warrant this type of equipment).

What type of tip combination are you using? What type of fan cap (is that the right term?) -- mine only has one, recently I read that you can get high output caps, is that my problem? Or should I just figure I'm not using it enough to become proficient and sell it?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Mike:

I will be glad to take your council as you seem all the way up to speed on this topic. I do >really< like my little Binks knock off, and in fact for $10 I am going over to HF to get another one today. I have been spraying a urethane industrial coating from Coronado that is supposed to be used in heavy industrial areas, and does not require priming except on flaking rust. I have used it before, and it is like shooting glue. A few uses and the gun is getting cranky, so for $10, I won't sweat it.

Here's my situation I would like for you to ponder. I am a remodel/repair contractor, and I do a lot of door only installations for a local lumberyard that sells a lot of metal doors. These folks want their doors painted, so I make an additional $$ to paint the door. Although it is done all the time around here, I can't stand latex on metal. When I hang an occasional wood door, I just brush them out.

When I know I am painting a metal door (front door, back door), I take my larger pancake (2 hp - 4.6 cfm @40 psi and 2.4 cfm at 90) and it will run the little gun just fine. Plenty of air, just the right amount of paint. If I mix/thin up 16 oz of paint in my sport bottle, it will spray two coats each side of a 3' door, which is perfect. I usually put in about 3 - 4 drops of Japan drier in the cup before spraying on colder, damper days and it works just fine.

When I spray burglar bars, that little gun is a champ. Remember that your average bars are made out of some kind of 1" frame with 1/2" bars and some kind of curly design in the middle. 1" fan, volume open all the way, it tears them up. Refilling is a little annoying, but compared to the days of when we used to hand brush those babies for hours, it is a blessing to have to refill. (The house I am finishing out right now has 20 sets on them, mostly large 6 to 8 ft wide and 5 ft tall to compliment the ranch style house).

OK.. I am gettin' around to my question.

Is there a larger capacity gun that I could run with my portable compressor? I often send my guys one way, and I go another as it doesn't take two of us to hang a door. Nor does it take two to paint. So I take all my equipment and haul it in the back of the truck, and when I go to the seedier parts of town I put the compressor in the front seat of the truck. Point being I have the biggest luggable I could get with the most power to match up to the best gun I could find to do the job. And after 30 years of doing this, I am not going to buy a bigger compressor to haul around.. my tired old butt just doesn't want to fool with unloading some monster at the end of the day.

So it there a gun that will do all the stuff this one will do that has higher resovoir capacity and will throw just a little more paint when spraying? I tend to build coats, so I get a lot of coverage - but I'll bet I filled that little gun ten times for all those bars. And they are now ready for their second coat. With the paint premixed, it actually only takes about a minute or two to release the cup and fill, but nonetheless I am always looking for something better.

Given my compressor limitation (the compressor has to go out to the job with me, completely, easily portable) do you know of a gun that will do what I want?

FWIW, I didn't get why some hair raised over you suggesting to search the archives here. Two things - you were quite civil. Not too long ago, many would just answer with DAGS. Nothing else.

The other thing some don't get is that the archives are the highest and best use of this NG. More practical info here than a library. And over the years faces, people, experiences, interests, etc. all change and that sometimes is reflected back over here. And as for all the questions that are the mainstay of this group (which table saw should I buy? has anyone used PC routers and are they any good? etc., etc.) I honestly think many don't know the archives are searchable.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

For latex I'm using the .061.

I've got the .028 for stains, .036 and .043 for most everything else, and the .061 just for latex. The dealer said to thin latex by 20%. I don't, because I don't need to. A bit of Floetrol and maybe 10-15% water, at the most. I can spray any pattern needed. I've got the #5,

7, and 9 caps. I'll use the 7 or 9 for latex.

Proficiency isn't the problem. It's tip and cap selection, thinning properly, and adequate flow through the gun. Having said that, I haven't sprayed the exact type of material you are having issues with. Maybe get a bigger cap and tip. There's NO way you'll be able to spray latex well with a tip smaller than the mid 50 thous.

Dave

Reply to
David

Mike-

I appreciate your knowledge and input here on the group and offer this as constructive critism. I've spent hours and hours googling and still never found exactly what I needed answered, spending too much time sifting through the static. I usually preface this before asking again and specify links or info I have found. This being said.....

It's sure a lot faster to just ask the question again and hope the question gets answered w/o fanfare and responses like this. It would have been much easier had you just ignored the question. Now the next time somebody googles HVLP they'll have to read through my post, yours and your reponsders just to spend 5 or 10 more minutes getting zero information.

It could have been....

What table saw should I buy?.....

:-)

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Here's a link to the HF knock off of the Binks model 7. A great all-in-all utility gun. A bit wasteful because it's not HVLP, so you can anticipate

30-50% waste with this type of gun. My experience is that it's closer to 30% than 50%. Good fast coverage, even flow and a one quart cup. Just a workhorse of a reliable gun. It's a little demanding of a pancake compressor though. If you stay with the guns that are spec'd at around 6 CFM, your compressor should support them, even though it's rated lower.

you have a compressor already that is less delivery, this one might work. I've never shot this gun, but my bet is it will deliver a decent coverage. It's probably not going to give an equal degree of control over the fan and the air delivery, but that may not be a show stopper. It likely has some plastic inside where the other one has brass, but again - that's not always a show stopper, especially with light use. It really wants about 6CFM, but you can probably get by on 4-5.

either case, the little hose on the top of the cup is a problem area - throw it away. Let the cup breath through the hole and just don't tip the gun past the point where it wants to drip out of the breather. You'll get a lot of useable angle before it wants to drip.

The DeVilbiss knock off below is a good gun - typically sprays nicer than the Binks style guns, but does not lay on the paint like a Binks style. You can cheat the required CFM a bit and they will still spray ok.

take it to the HVLP level, this is a perfectly useable gun, I would probably consider...

in my opinion - the best all around, I want only one gun to do it all would be the model 7 knock off or the DeVilbiss knock off. Not latex guns, but latex is right next to MDF in my opinion.

The 1quart guns will address the cup size issue nicely and you can lock the fan down to a nice tight pattern for those smaller bars.

At 4.6 CFM, the guns that require around 6 CFM will work - but like I say, use a 3/8 hose.

I get down to the local HF store every week or two and I should be down there again in the coming week. Give me a couple of days and I'll go and check out the guns and give you a better opinion once I take a look at them.

My delivery perhaps. Actually, I tried not to be abrasive initially, but maybe that didn't come through. Some folks just don't like the suggestion of what has been the way of usenet for decades and seem to jump to the net nanny line. I don't lose a lot of sleep over those. I do appreciate your comment though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

And after investing that five minutes, they'll discover the treasure chest of the really valuable information that's out there also. But, to each his own. Seems investing any time is considered an unrealistic expectation these days.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I have no problems with differing opinions and love to hear different ideas...that is why I read newsgroups. I think you might want to take a step back and take a deep breath. Life is good.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Most definitely (and Thank You!) but, if it's OK with you, I'll take a rain check until my schedule allows me to spend some time experimenting - and I'll need to do some archive reading of my own before then.

Morris Dovey

Wow, Mike. Thanks a million for taking the time and effort to put together that post on the guns. I think that will be a real help, especially knowing that some of the guns will work with a little less CFM than advertised. You can't know these things without practicle experience, and as a carpenter by trade, my experience with the finer points of spraying oil based finish is limited.

The compressor I am using is new and strong, and all but a couple of my hoses are 3/8" since they recover my framing/roofing guns more quickly. So I should be in good shape there. I am going to pass along your post to an amigo of mine that has a couple of unsatisfactory guns (I am suspicioning lack of good cleaning), but a large compressor we use to spray (some 50 gallon industrial monster) when we can transport the victim to his shop. I keep my water trap/air filter/regulator combination in a case with the correct hose fittings, and just take it with me if I see him or spray out on site.

Awww.... c'mon now. Try the high end of some of the newer acrylics on house painting. Proper prep (as with all painting, the key) and a couple of good coats of the high end stuff and the wear and adhesion is amazing. Some of the new siding and houses we painted years ago almost look as good as the day we walked off. That says a lot with out 100+ degree summers we have. I think it may have to do with what you are painting.

At any rate, thanks once more. I will wait for you to get by HF and see what you find. If you would, start a new thread and just ping me with any info or an updated opinon on anything you find. Sure do appreciate it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"Buzz off" is a colloquialism there champ. By all means continue to post as you please.

JP

******************** For the flaming impaired.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Not everyone Mike. What's *your* cause, btw?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique