Hurricane-proof House

Page 6 of 8

I am in SW Louisiana and Katrina did not affect us at all. I am about 35 miles, as the crow flies, from the Gulf coast and at a 26 ft elevation. I live in a monolithic dome on the order of the site I posted and hurricane winds on this dome would be like you blowing on your truck. I may still loose windows and possibly one door but that can be addressed also. My philosophy, as a results of living thru many hurricanes including Audrey in '57 which came in right on top of us, is "You can't stop the wind from blowing, but you can decide what gets broke!".
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
"SwampBug" wrote in message

wind or sail boats would not work.
Yabbut ... a pyramid deflects wind like a wing, plus you can cover all avenues of approach from one location.
You're in S Louisiana, right? ... how'd you fare in the latest hurricane?
-- www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 8/29/05
"SwampBug" wrote in message

live in a monolithic dome on the order of the site I posted and hurricane winds on this dome would be like you blowing on your truck. I may still loose windows and possibly one door but that can be addressed also. My philosophy, as a results of living thru many hurricanes including Audrey in '57 which came in right on top of us, is "You can't stop the wind from blowing, but you can decide what gets broke!".<<
Good to hear that you fared well ... keep it up, cher!
Eunice born and bred ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Nehmo (in nalUe.27864$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com) said:
| How should this house be built and what should it have?
Solid but light. Wheels.
[and anti-troll protection]
Nehmo wrote:

I was just wondering about how to reinforce the front door so the cops couldn't kick it open -- even with that little battering ram they use, unless they want to keep pounding on it for 20 minutes. I think the door frame and the latch are probably more important than the actual door. Of course, it would have to have a chain so you could crack it open to talk to people on the other side if you wanted to. 5/16" safety chain? If they tried to kick it in while the door was cracked, it would bounce shut (breaking someone's foot, hopefully) and you could latch the bolt if you were fast.
An antique-looking 4 inch cannon in the front room would make a great conversation piece. Hopefully no one would ever have to find out that it was real and loaded with grapeshot.
Wood-frame construction (except for the heavy steel door frames) with lots of metal ties to hold the roof joists to the wall plates, and steel siding.
No basement, obviously.
Heavy full-sized shutters to cover the windows.
Small generator and transfer switch.
Best regards, Bob

Local Hell's Angel hangout was raided - the cops used a backhoe to open the door. The HA rebuilt with a concrete wall in front to the door so they couldn't use a backhoe again.
Mike
I dobt that a concrete wall will stop a backhoe.
Don wrote:

Constant, evenly dispersed pressure.

Not.
Notan

How long will it take a backhoe to get through it?

Relative to what? There are many mechanical or structurally made 10 x or more heavier than even a big backhoe.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My point is, it's not the material that's used, it's how the structure is designed.
Notan
Don wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, my post was in response to Edwin's post.
I must've missed the point at which you started speaking for him.
Notan
Don wrote:

As I've said before, I can respect the fact that you're opinionated, and stand firmly for the things you think are important.
But, you have this attitude, where anyone that disagrees with you is unitelligent, uneducated, and <fill in any/all of your usual descriptors>. You like to portray yourself as holier-than-everyone-else. You have *the* answer, while no one else comes close.
Maybe you've always been this way, but it's only lately that I've begun to see you as nothing more than a non-religious bible thumper.
While I'm sure that you couldn't care less about my opinions (or anyone else's, for that matter), you *don't* have all the answers.
There's lots of stuff you're missing. I'm hoping you'll catch up.
Notan
Notan wrote:

Spell-checker turned back on... That was "unintelligent."
Notan
Don wrote:

No, spell-checker.
And, that's exactly what I'm talking about... You always *think* you know better.
I *misspelled* a word, which a spell-checker would have caught.
A *grammar checker* (By the way, you should've used your *spell checker* on that one! <g>) would have told me if my sentence was grammatically incorrect.
Notan

In the case of the HA, their primary goal was to slow down, not necessarily stop the cops. The large concrete blocks in front of the concrete wall keep a backhoe at a significant distance too. All in all, the design looks like a typical US embassy or consulate.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

Cameras, man, cameras.
Cops, whether local guys on the beat, DEA agents, Secret Service, swat teams, or anything, don't fear guns. They make sure they're always more heavily armed than and outnumber the people they've been told to take out.
And they don't worry too much about heavily fortified buildings. As your post states, if they find a door or wall that their battering rams can't take down, they'll use a backhoe; if that doesn't work, a bulldozer.
What law enforcement fears; what can really put a stop to what they're doing, is cameras. A single video of a cop doing something that doesn't look right, sent to the media, will be more damaging to a cop than a million guns, and a bigger impedement to their goals than a house built like Fort Knox.
I saw video today of a scuffle between cops and evacuees. One of the cops completely ignored his cohorts efforts to get a handle on the situation, and instead approached the camera-man - yelling "TURN OFF THE CAMERA! TURN OFF THE CAMERA NOW!"
Don wrote:

I'd warn against shooting a cop surrounded by other cops (with guns) in the face.
I'd say the camera guy should have kept rolling, braced himself, and seen if he could get the coming assault by an officer caught on film.

Easy.
He had something to fear.
Remember Rodney King? It wasn't a gun that brought the LAPD to its knees. It was a camera. Cameras are better than any other thing at capturing the truth. And when the truth is leaked about police activity, it's often rough for the cops involved.
Witness Amadou Diallo.
41 shots.

The excuse is that the presence of a camera encourages people play TO the camera, and thus makes them harder to control than otherwise.
The REASON is because cops are control freaks.

You had a shot up until the "unwanted government interference". There is nothing that can be built to stand up or resist that.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:26:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita

More to the point, you wouldn't be able to break ground on the house's foundation without having to deal with it.
Lee