Hurricane-proof House

And what percentage of the British population actually own homes?

Reply to
Chris

Yep, that would be a great place to be when the flood waters came in. Unless, of course, your underground house is a buried submarine. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

Reply to
gruhn

I have seen worst, but

"It's way up there...."

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

- - - - - - - - - - -

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies. And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

--=20 |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Reply to
SwampBug

BETTER answer.... Just build it in Canada...we have plenty of flood planes for the moronic and a well established reputation for helping our neighbours as opposed to using high powered fire arms to solve all our problems.

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Doug B Taylor

Reply to
Swingman

Poland? ;)

nice catch, though.

Reply to
skroob

| How should this house be built and what should it have?

Solid but light. Wheels.

[and anti-troll protection]

Morris Dovey

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

If you have power, you can use an electric toilet..

If not, you could use some form of camp toilet, with collection bags, and store them in a larger drum when full.

You'll want a holding tank and filtering system for showers, etc using recycled water. maybe some form of solar heating? You'll also want a storage system for potable water.

Use several smaller generators that can be synced together to form a larger one if needed. Propane/natural gas provides the best long term storage, but diesel is easier to resupply, and can be hauled in drums, or jerrycans. Make sure you have a stock of suitable containers to transfer fuel. Gasoline is not a good choice for long term storage.

A storage battery/inverter system could also be used to reduce generator run times, possibly with photovoltaics, although the survivability of photovoltaics in the storm is highly questionable.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Build it on a big mound of packed dirt with pilings to hold it all in place. Make the rest of the structural parts except doors and windows of heavily reinforced concrete.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I was just wondering about how to reinforce the front door so the cops couldn't kick it open -- even with that little battering ram they use, unless they want to keep pounding on it for 20 minutes. I think the door frame and the latch are probably more important than the actual door. Of course, it would have to have a chain so you could crack it open to talk to people on the other side if you wanted to. 5/16" safety chain? If they tried to kick it in while the door was cracked, it would bounce shut (breaking someone's foot, hopefully) and you could latch the bolt if you were fast.

An antique-looking 4 inch cannon in the front room would make a great conversation piece. Hopefully no one would ever have to find out that it was real and loaded with grapeshot.

Wood-frame construction (except for the heavy steel door frames) with lots of metal ties to hold the roof joists to the wall plates, and steel siding.

No basement, obviously.

Heavy full-sized shutters to cover the windows.

Small generator and transfer switch.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

How did the narrator know that?

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

but it is those rounded edges that make it work. . .flat surface collect = wind or sail boats would not work.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

--=20

Last update: 8/29/05

Reply to
SwampBug

Are you sure you would trust an *army* surplus submarine?

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Not sure, I suppose you could ask him. As I remember he was as scientist stationed down there. Good enough for me. My guess would be carbon dating.

Reply to
Chris

You had a shot up until the "unwanted government interference". There is nothing that can be built to stand up or resist that.

Mark & Juanita