(humor intended) How to remove deer blood from oak?

Hey All, I'm heading to my butcher's shop now but last night I picked up a small amount of oak- some rough, some planed and on the way home I came upon a car/deer collision only seconds old. After making sure the occupants were okay I saw that the 9 pointer was still alive but really in bad shape. A witness to the collision (in the opposite lane) arrived after making a u-turn and he and I restrained the deer until I could kill it. Not wanting to waste meat we set it in the pickup bed, trying to avoid the lumber and later I field dressed it in my back yard. (Under lights, with running water, etc.... All the nice things about having a hunter friendly house.) Anyway, my future steak supply bled on some of the oak I had. I hope it won't stain too deeply. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any good recommendations for getting blood- deer or others- out of wood? I already damp wiped the congealed blood from the affected boards but there is some staining apparent. Marc (who's wife enjoys the venison he brings home, regardless of its source)

Reply to
marc rosen

Hey Marc,

Sure do wish *I* were the one putting that buck meat in the freezer!

I would like to suggest peroxide. Good old 3% that you buy at the drug store for about 89 cents a quart. It works for removing blood from fabric, so it should help a little with the wood. It may bleach the wood a little though, as it will fade the color from non colorfast fabric.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Yum, Yum! Road kill! Am off myself this afternoon to start reducing the doe population here in Texas.

Reply to
Dave In Houston

marc rosen wrote in news:1194097968.735666.87870@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

I'm not a hunter, but I believe that an oxalic acid solution might take care of it. Rinse off with plenty of water, multiple times.

I could be wrong ...

Reply to
Han

get more deer blood and stain it all the same. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

marc rosen wrote: ...

The rough probably won't be much of a problem unless it sat in a pool--it will probably be gone when surface it.

The other, rinse thoroughly (a little late by now, of course). I'd just plan on using as normal, then if there is evidence, the oxalic acid (wood bleach) is where I'd go. It will bleach the wood, too, though, particularly if it is red oak, so you'll undoubtedly want to do a uniform treatment and may then need to even color back out before finishing.

--

Reply to
dpb

Peroxide will take care of the hemoglobin problem, as Kate says, though the cells will still be there. Planing will probably do for it if you want to skip the bleach.

You _did_ get a permit for the road kill, right? I remember a couple of guys who dressed a roadkill moose up here a few years back and were prosecuted for their efforts. Protected or some such.

DO NOT take any feathers from a roadkill eagle!!!!!!!

Reply to
George

Damn... Now THAT'S thinking outside the box... I like it!

Maybe, since the OP referred to a butcher shop, they have access to other types/shades that could complete the project..

Home made bloodwood?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Oxalic acid bleaches,

It will lighten old oak about as much as cutting into fresh oak, but you can reverse this with ammonia fuming.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not on oak. There's always a risk of iron stain developing from the iron in the blood, which will lead to uneven blue or black stains.

If you're going to make blood-soaked furniture like a pig-killing bench, use a low-tannin timber like beech or maple, rather than oak.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Andy Dingley" wrote

Not on oak. There's always a risk of iron stain developing from the iron in the blood, which will lead to uneven blue or black stains.

It might be pretty with the dark stains.... Kate

Reply to
Kate

Marc,

I used to work for the American Red Cross Blood Services in Central Maryland. On a blood spill (as mentioned in other posts) rinse with water, cold water. Also, peroxide often helped on clothing (after damp with water).

Dave - Parkville

Reply to
David Bridgeman

I second that. Had some extensive dental work done a few years back -- bone grafts, sinus lift, in preparation for implants. Surgeon told me to wear an old t-shirt, since I'd never get the blood out. Cold water (won't set the blood proteins by converting albumin into globulin) plus peroxide (to bleach out the hemoglobin) restored my ruined shirt to like-new condition.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel