Hummm LeeValley screws up and does not make good.

Page 1 of 5
August 1 I ordered 60 rare earth magnets from Lee Valley. I got a receipt and confirmation number. Checking on the order today they have no record of the order and are not willing to expedite shipping on the order unless I am willing to pay an additional $30+ dollars for second day shipping.
I'm thinking I should pay the original $10 shipping and they pick up the difference in price to get it here more quickly.
I canceled the order.
On 8/6/2013 10:44 AM, Leon wrote:

A follow up e-mail to Lee Valley was responded to by Lee Valley blaming me for taking too long to place the order.
I responded that once there is a receipt and order confirmation to be printed I should not have to worry whether the order was successful or not. And I sent them a copy of the receipt/order number.
Now waiting for the ultimate excuse at to why I am to blame for the order not going through.
On 8/6/2013 11:37 AM, Leon wrote:

I got a follow up phone call and I took it further to talk to some one that might care about what is going on. I described the process and was assured that if I got the "print receipt" page with the items on the order and receipt and confirmation number that I had done all that I could do to insure that the order was taken and received.
I explained to them that I had already placed the order with another company however I think they may want to look further into this situation because if it happened to me how many others may it have happened to and they simply did not follow up. They seemed a bit more interested at that point. And I reminded this person that I sent a copy of the receipt and confirmation for them to review.
At this point I am done with it all, Amazon got the order.
And finally the person that needs to know what is going on replies
Thank you Lee. I'm more interested in you knowing what is going on than looking for any favors.
Sent from my iPad
Mr Bridges – Please accept my apologies for your inconvenience – we did not handle your inquiry well. I’ve asked our Chief Customer Officer to look into it, and you’ll get a more complete explanation. Generally, we’re much better at this type of thing…. Sincerely – Rob Lee
On 8/7/2013 12:59 PM, Leon wrote:

As I said, there's the man in the operation who demands "service and attention to detail"; AND is business-wise enough to NOT blame it on the customer when there is NO evidence to that effect.
You were spot on to both make an issue out of it using all available avenues, and to make sure those who actually built the business know what is going on in their organization.
All's well that ends well ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:37:30 -0500, Leon wrote:

Leon, I would have joined those saying that doesn't sound like Lee Valley but I had a experience recently that makes me wonder. I had ordered 3 dozen cabinet knobs from their closeout page. The page went to an out of stock status a short time later. The next day it was back to an in stock status. Didn't make a lot of sense, and I was concerned that they might have shipped less than a full order.
So I called them,and got a very grumpy (almost snarly) assurance that they had shipped the whole 3 dozen.
Obviously I didn't incur any damages here, but I'm not used to that kind of telephone response from LV. Also, the fact that they went out and then in stock makes me wonder if it was a real closeout - if not that's a bit on the edge of ethical. Of course, that could just be a bad job of computer programming.
I hope our experiences don't reflect a change of business plan at LV.
carrying a cross.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'm sure it's just a software problem and that they are not intentionally treating their customers poorly!
On 8/6/2013 7:36 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Could be another order was cancelled or a payment problem happened. Maybe one of the stores returned a bunch to the main warehouse. Many legit reasons for it.
I have a lot of respect for Leon, but I think he is over reacting on this. Stuff happens, not worth getting your undies in a knot over this. It is magnets, not an organ transplant.
On 8/6/2013 9:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I really don't think I am over reacting, They are basically saying that there was no order generated, and that I am at fault with the way I placed my order. I have a receipt to prove that there was. Either way I ordered from them because of their reputation and the fact that if there is a problem they handle it much better than my past dealings with Amazon when I had a problem. Amazon was less expensive but I was willing to wait longer, 2 weeks, and pay a bit more for that ease of mind. My mistake.

They could have handled it better from the start and not blame you. Could be a lot of reasons it screwed up. OTOH, I wonder how many people accuse them of late shipments and expect them to eat the cost of overnight freight?
The person you spoke to should have apologized and promised to ship your order that day, but to upgrade the cost of freight to more than the profit potential is expecting too much.
Leon, I've always respected your postings here, but this time you did not come across as the gentleman you usually are. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, you came across like a spoiled kid that did not get his way. I hope I'm wrong.

+1
--- ---
On 8/7/2013 5:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bullshit ... what Leon expected from Lee Valley is the same service and attention to detail that his clients have come to expect and demand from him.
It is why Leon is successful in this business, and why Lee Valley heretofore gained respect and loyalty in their business ... it was Lee Valley that dropped this ball, and worse, blamed it on the customer.
You are way off base, Bubba ... and indeed wrong.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I have to agree, but for a different reason. I've never met Leon in person. But, for all the years I've been reading comments from Leon in this newsgroup, he's shown himself to be a person of reason and fairness.
I've always experienced excellent customer service from Lee Valley tools. The only difference here is that an order was placed with them and they screwed it up. The onus is on them to fix the problem to the buyer's satisfaction ~ IF they want to keep their stellar reputation for service.

What's the different reason? ... that's pretty much the EXACT gist of my observation. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

The different reason is that I've never been a client of Leon's and never in person experienced his attention to woodworking detail. My experience with Leon is solely through the woodworking information he's passed on to me. Almost as good, but not just quite.
So there! :)
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:55:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Yes, and that is why I'm surprise he aired the dirty laundry before getting a resolution. I thought better of him.
On 8/7/2013 5:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm confused Ed, what dirty laundry. I stated facts and how they played out. Ultimately all went well and I stated that too.
I showed no ill feelings nor did I suggest that anyone not continue to do business with LV.
As I mentioned in another post had I not brought this situation to light in this group I would not have been able to contact Rob Lee as a few here provided the necessary information to do so. Had I not posted this here the issue would still be unknown to Rob, at least through me.
I wanted to provide information to solve a problem and not let it go with out being addressed. As it turned out and as I suspected their computer system was fault and it took me contacting Rob before any one at LV returned my comments with a proposed solution. I benefited nada other than the satisfaction of knowing that Rob still cares about his customers and to help them correct a situation that was obviously causing them problems.
On 8/7/2013 8:21 PM, Leon wrote:

The end result turned out OK, but you could have taken a different route. You did the right thing to contact Rob, but you could have contacted him with a little effort. Hey, does anyone know how to contact Rob Lee?
Read the subject line for this thread. You made a statement that attracted the attention of most everyone here. People read and believe headlines and draw conclusions without the rest of the facts that took some hours to come out.
No, you did not suggest anyone not do business with LV, but, as a respected poster here your comment that LV "screws up and does not make good" was enough for someone to conclude that LV has gone to crap.
I don't object to you telling the story, I just think you should have told the entire story, good or bad, after it was concluded. I don't think disparaging LV was your intent but others perceived it that way.
On 8/7/2013 8:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well I got the information either way and the title was not anything but the truth at that point.

Well seriously I could have stated that LV simply made a mistake and "someone" would have concluded that LV had gone to crap too. For that matter I could have said that LV fixed a problem and "someone" would have had a contrary comment.
I wanted to draw attention and those that read the entire thread understood that going to the top was still possible to do at LV and the out come was positive. What is unfortunate for me is that I had to go to the top. As indicated by Rob himself there had been some non policy handling of the situation.
I have been a subscriber to Uverse TV, Phone, and internet for a few years and the recent service has been poor for the whole neighborhood. I can assure you it would be impossible to get to the top dog to complain.

Well I did not do that way. It seems most every one else had no problem with the way I brought it all to light. Perhaps had I done it your way you would have been pleased and most every one else would have suggested a better way to present it. I'm not trying to sell books so much as bring attention as it happens.
Anyway I appreciate your comments, I was truly interested in what rubbed you the wrong way. My intent was not to offend or have anyone think any less of me.