Humility

No where is this more evident that in chemistry/analytical laboratory situations.

When I graduated I went to work for a company in southern Michigan. We hired GOOD high school graduates for the technician positions in the lab. By the time I retired, we would not look at a high school graduate.

There were two reasons. One the high school grand could pass the standardized test but did not have the knowledge to be trained for the technicians positions.

The second reason was that from a Government Regulatory aspect it was much easier to convince an regulatory person that the person had the proper training if we started with a person with a BS or MS degree, and then trained; them rather than saying we started with a high school graduate.

Did it make any difference, I have tried to train people that had a college "Education" that could not comprehend what they read, at least could not translate what they read in the steps necessary to do the job.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Sure. Much less wriggle room in the sciences. Hard to bullshit your way through the workplace there.

Funny, one my "sources" is #1 daughter, a chemistry prof. She was in AP courses from 6th grade on. As a junior she wasooking for her undergrad school she did an overnighter at Knox College - highly rated in the sciences. Participated in a study group of sophomore chem students that night. She was feeding them all the answers.

When she went off to undergrad at St Olaf in MN, she basically chilled the first three semesters before having to get back into the grind. Finished there with a double major Biology & Chemistry. Then off to the U of MN and her PhD in Biochemistry.

The kids that she now teaches are good kids but ill-prepared for someone like her. Would you believe "helicopter parents" in college?

"Look, Julie's grades are slipping. You realize that if she fails your course, she will be in danger of losing her scholarship?"

Oh well, says my daughter. If Julie doesn't attend class and start applying herself, she probably will lose the scholarship but it's not all bad, she won't need it when she flunks out."

Amazing!

My background is law enforcement and I saw and still see, although retired, the "new breed" coming up with degrees. Amazing what thought processes some of them have. Fresh out of the academy and they are wondering why they have to work patrol instead of an immediate promotion to Lt or department head - "I do have a degree you know!"

The first six months they spend out on the street with a FTO and then working those same streets on their own is the best education they will ever get - if they accept it as such. They soon realize that the degree means little without the street experience and trial by fire. If they don't learn it, they leave; typically after getting their butt kicked a couple three times.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

FWIW, I DID tune- in to view/listen what he had to say.

Reply to
Bill

OK, I don't think any education is wasted but agree, at some point you do have to change priorities and earn your way through life.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------------- "Le>>

-------------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

Why is that?

------------------------------------------------------------ You're not old enough to remember the GI Bill offered to vets returning from WWII.

It was attacked as being a gov't handout; however, in the end it turned out to be the best investment the gov't ever made.

It developed a generation of trained college graduates, most of them were the first in the their family to graduate, that drove the last half of the 20th century.

The increase in income taxes paid the direct cost of the program and the increase in an educated work force put us on the moon.

This proposed program is aimed at the community college programs.

Programs that are 2 years aimed at directly providing qualified people to staff the local market opportunities.

The program is optional. No one is holding a gun to some ones head to sign up.

Rather it provides a means to attend a community college and learn a skill set that is needed in the local area.

It sets the hook to get a degree by requiring that a 2.5 GPA is maintained to qualify.

Everybody wins on this one including the skeptics who are convinced that gov't is a waste.

Yes, the gov't is not the most efficient way of doing some things, but the do provide the best way some other things.

Things that the private sector either can not or will not provide.

Even Barry Goldwater recognized that gov't provides a unique service the private sector doesn't provide.

Only took him about 3-4 terms to gain that perspective.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Amateur does not mean unskilled Don't sell yourself short!

Reply to
GeneT

If it's paid for by the government it will soon become the standard. Like a HS diploma now, one won't be able to get a job flippin' burgers without a 2-year degree. It's the way the world works.

It's a *bad* idea all around. It's probably worse than the college loan program.

Reply to
krw

I think the dentist I recently visited took your advice.

Reply to
Max

I was kinda comforted by the fact that my surgeon has 15 years experience and does 380 bypasses a year. I really didn't want to be one of his learning cadavers. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I have never gone to a doctor or dentist that know their subject. The only thing they will admit to is that they are practicing to be a doctor or dentist

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

That may be all they're licensed to do by the government. If only the government were as competent...

Reply to
krw

But with all due respect, that was not a time of entitlement like it is now and the government was not as out of control as it is now.

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------------- "Le>

-------------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

Why is that?

--------------------------------------------------- "Le> Given how much in debt the government is as a base for comparison,

------------------------------------------------------ "Le> But with all due respect, that was not a time of entitlement like it

--------------------------------------------------------- Pray tell what the devil arre you talking about?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

$18T debt. 50% of kids on public assistance. The wholesale shredding of the Constitution. ...just a few examples.

Reply to
krw

College police forces with MRAPS; NSA sucking up your privacy; license plate readers tracking your locations; SWAT teams raiding Mom & Pop farms and homes, shooting the old folks dogs, for selling raw milk or planting vegetables in the front yard; LEO 'asset forfeiture' programs, nothing more than a license to steal with no crime committed; TSA stealing from your luggage, and harassing 80 year old ladies in wheel chairs; Homes invasions by LEO with no knock warrants, without regard to having the correct address...

...ad infinitum.

Reply to
Swingman

Just GladI'm old as it's like they're try to turn this country into a beehive.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Nah, bees produce something useful.

Reply to
krw

---------------------------------------------------------- "Sw> College police forces with MRAPS; NSA sucking up your privacy;

--------------------------------------------------- There is an old adage in the debate business.

When you have the facts, use them.

When you don't have the facts, dig up all the crap you can, throw it up on the wall and see if something will stick.

Lots of crap got tossed up on the wall, but nothing stuck.

Hint: Paranoia doesn't count.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There is another; "if you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit."

.End of bullshit

Reply to
krw

Reply to