Human Stupidity strikes again

Page 1 of 2
Luckily not me this time. Some local was using a Circular saw and cut off his entire hand at the wrist. Still trying to figure out how that was done. Fingers I see but a whole hand? Anyway his friends had enough sense to put the hand on ice, tourniquet his arm, and rush him to the hospital. The hand has been reattached but the doctor says he has months of rehabilitation ahead of him.

Young_carpenter wrote:

Rather than putting a severed part directly on ice, you'd do much better to stick it in a baggy and float it in a bucket of ice water. Ice can cause further tissue damage that ice water won't. In the best of all worlds, I'd pour some normal saline in the bag, but I don't keep any around the house.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Would that be significantly different from the saline solutions sold to contact lens wearers?

George wrote:

I'm not sure what they sell for contact users. FWIW, normal saline is 0.9%. It's called "normal" because it's the same concentration of salt normally found in blood.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
George wrote:

No, but you'd need a lot of the little bottles. A couple of Tablespoons of table salt in a quart of water will give you a close enough mix. As I remember. it's been about 15 years. Does that sound about right Mortimer? Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Would the contents of a fresh, sealed eye wash bottle work? I have those, and if they would work, it would be nice to know. Just in case.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Since my last comment, I did a google search on "saline for eye wash". I immediately got a hit that indicates it should work just fine. Apparently, eye wash IS 0.9% saline solution, ie, "normal" or "isotonic".
Save up those fingers and toes! You're ready!
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

If this was the incident that happend in Northern Michigan last week, I think he was using a compound miter saw to cut some trim and was reaching across the saw to hold the stock. It was his left hand that was severed. His wife was the one who brought the hand with them to the hospital. I agree that it seems like it would be hard to cut off your whole hand. The article said that he did not feel any pain after it was cut off! Reading about this sort of thing makes me VERY careful when working around blades. Btw, young carpenter, I live in T.C., where are you from?
Jswee Curmudgeon in Training

It takes only a brief moment of inattention (or stupidity) to cause an accident that changes lives.

If so, his wife deserves a lot of credit. It is very difficult to think clearly at a time like that.

Quite believable. The pain may come later after the shock and disbelieve wear off. I lost the end of my index finger about three years ago. I closed a car door on it. The end of my finger was crushed and all the flesh pulled off. It did not hurt. In fact, I did not realize that I had seriously injured myself until I saw the bone sticking out.

Where is that? I am a troll from the L.P. Myself.
Bob Haar writes:

I think this qualifies as more than a "brief moment" of stupidity or anything else. I mean, come on. The guy first crosses his arm under the blade and leaves it there as he lowers the blade. He then brings the blade down and through his wrist. Maybe 7-1/2" diameter wrist, with bones.
That's a complete cut-out of the brain on at least a temporary basis, with or without pain.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
7-1/2" diameter wrist? What is this guy, the Hulk in full green mode? My wrist is less than 2.5" at it's widest. In any case, I agree that this was a little more than stupid.

CW responds:

I think I wrote that about 4 a.m., after being up a whole 10 minutes. Sorry.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
No problem Charlie. I should have included a couple of :) :). It was obvious you were not up to usual.

Sorry.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Was this Andre the Giant? My wrist is probably only 7-1/2" in circumference!
--
Alex
alexy responds:

Sorry about that. Doesn't exactly alter the point, does it?
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

No, and I should have included a smiley to acknowledge that! I accept a slap on my [skinny] wrist.
--
Alex

young carpenter, is T.C. Traverse City? I'm in Waterford/ West Bloomfield area. Where are you, Bob?

When I was taught how to use a radial arm saw I was told the most common accident with it was amputation of the left thumb. The second most common was blunt trauma to the chest or shoulder, often with a dislocation, due to kickback (perhaps 'kickforward' since a RAS cuts with a climbing cut). This comes about from right-handed people using their right hand on the handle on the right side of the saw, and holding the stock with their left hand so that their body is in line with the blade and they reach accros their body to steady short pieces.
To avoid injury, I was taught to use the tool left handed, that is with my left hand operating the saw and my right hand holding the stock. This puts the 'stock' hand really far from the blade and your body to the right of saw instead of in line with the blade. It sounds awkward, but if you do it that way you'll immediately see the advantage. I wish Nahrm would give it a try that way.
A sliding CMS can be used the same way, although often the trigger switch is designed for right hand use. Also, a sliding CMS can be used by pulling it out past the stock, then plunging it down, and then pushing it back through the stock like a normal circular saw so as to not do a climbing cut. I'm interested in opinions on that.
One problem I have had with a sliding CMS is misaligment of the fence extensions with the fence resulting in kickback upon completing the cut, regardless of which direction you cut. No, I didn't set that saw up, but now I always check to be sure the stock is flush with the factory fence on the saw befor cutting. The same thing can happen if the stock being cut is crooked, not properly jointed on the edge against the fence.
--

FF

Fredfighter notes:

Lemmee tell ya about--do NOT use the RAS to cut OSB. I had a piece shatter when I was cutting it, and it was 10 minutes before I realized my right pinkie was pumping blood from a split to the bone. The other piece caught me in a very sensitive spot and I spent that 10 minutes bent over, whooping and whining before I noticed blood all over the damned place. I had hunched my way from the back porch (location of a saw that left my possession as quickly as I could clean the blood off) to the kitchen, which fortunately had glossy paint on the walls and linoleum on the floor (old farmhouse kitchen really had linoleum).
I won't even set a piece of OSB down near an RAS now.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
I believe this is regional and I am almost sure they said circular saw. I live in C.N.Y/F.L.R
--

"Jswee" < snipped-for-privacy@chartermi.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...