Huge Dado (?) for 6x6 Pergola post and beam

On 10 Aug 2004 09:59:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

True, but have you seen those honkin' bastids they use for timber framing? Handheld 14" circular saws!

Maybe it was a hot summer day and his mind was on swimming.

I've modified John Ruskin's original to this:

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It sounds to me like a job for a Sawzall, possibly with some hand cleanup afterward. Since you don't have a Sawzall, a good handsaw (note--that's _H_and, not _B_and--my eyes are getting bad enough that the words start to look alike), if you already have one, and chisels would be the way to go. If you don't have one, however, buying a _good_ handsaw unless you find one on ebay or in a barn or something, is going to cost you darned near as much as the Sawzall. Another option would be a bowsaw--with the right blade that can do the entire cut in 4 or 5 steps.

Reply to
J. Clarke