HP for band saw and drill press

What are the ideal HPs for these two tools?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

For a BS it could be anywhere between 2 hp and 4.5 hp, what do you want to do with the BS?

For a DP it could be anywhere between 1/3 hp and 1 hp, what do you want to do with the DP?

I had a great Rockwell DP it had 1/3 hp, I stalled it a couple of times in

18 years. I now have a 1 hp Delta. I have not stalled it either however I have a much wider range of speeds compared to the old Rockwell.

I had a 1/2 hp band saw, it was OK for thin stock, I had a 2hp Rikon, it would cut thicker material more quickly. I now have a 4.5 hp Laguna, it easily resaws 8" wide/thick stock.

Reply to
Leon

Cut wood. J/K....I don't do any major work, yet, but I do plan to purchase one soon enough and want to get something with potential without having regrets of buying anything of insufficient power then requiring the need to buy something better.

Drill holes. lol.....similar reason as the BS.

Reply to
SBH

Band saws start from 9" and go to 48" and probably even larger. I'd guess a

1/2 HP would power any of them.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski