How would you?

Page 2 of 3
Morris Dovey wrote:

Was French plot to sabotage noble British exploration efforts.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Well, that and the fact that even if the lander in question had been fully metric throughout the same error could have occurred in the interface -- km being passed instead of m.
The real lesson from this is that there is no excuse for not performing careful systems engineering and walking through all interfaces to make sure nothing is missed.

I thought we "learned" that lesson from Hubble.

Or camshafts for GM's 307 engines..
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/ and no, it was NOT my fault.     ;-)     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems it be a lesson that continually has to be relearned in virtually every walk of life, technology or no...

Back farther, there was the gimli glider units issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
scott

There were/are many pilots that belived the crew should have been fired rather than made heros.
On Jul 24, 7:34pm, Dave Balderstone

That's a tough one. The heroism manifested itself in some incredible flying skills, and saving the lives of all aboard. However, they should have never been in that situation in the first place. They made the best of a very bad, avoidable situation. That has to account for something.
*sitting on the fence here*
Frankly, Science and Engineering has been in Metric. Software engineers don't use voltmeters or galvanometers.
I want to know where the engineering management unit test was on that. Most unlikely to typical or most all software and hardware processes.
Martin
Scott Lurndal wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

But the hardware (Automobiles, machine tools, etc) are/were in English and that's where the money was invested.
Not defending it, just stating reality.
Lew
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

This one will 'fess up to never needing a galvanometer, but I've used a sizable number of scopes (ranging from simple 2-channel Tektronix to an ultra-fast 16-channel recording scope from HP) and fair range of voltage, current, rf-power, capacitance, (etc) meters. Would you allow substitution of a spectrum analyzer for the galvanometer?
What makes people nervous is a software engineer with a screwdriver or soldering iron in his hand... :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

An electrical engineer with a wrench can accomplish the same thing. :-)

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Depends upon what one is doing and for whom. Aerospace has some very interesting unit choices at times, including combined units, depending upon the end user and customer. For example, there are places that measure altitude in feet and ground range in meters. It's not because people are luddites, it's because that is how the end user works.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yep. The Army uses meters, the Navy uses (or used) yards.
"Echo 1 this is Conquistador. We know who you are and we know what you need. Firing ranging round from extreme range. Give us mark and mark. Firing now. Time of flight, 37 seconds."
I looked at Gunny. We both knew who Conquistador was. She was the USS St Paul, the last ship in the navy to mount 8" guns. Gunny worked his circular slide rule, looked up at me, and said "Seventeen miles!"
Thirty-five seconds later, a huge explosion rendered the valley.
"Conquistador, this is Echo 1. You are 150 yards short and 50 left."
"Echo 1, Conquistador. We've made up the distance. Tell your dogfaces to hunker down and loosen their chin-straps - we are going to rock the earth. Main turrents one and two volley fire, six rounds on the way. Firing now. Time of flight 33 seconds. Give us mark and mark."
About six minutes later.
"Echo 1, Conquistador. We have reached optimum firing location and are turning to bring rear turrent to bear..."
HeyBub wrote:

I pity the poor bastards who were on the receiving end of _that_.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Some lessons are so fun, we seem to enjoy repeating them. :-(

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I agree - and yet the only lesson we seem to learn is recognizing the previous mistakes when we make 'em again. <s>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Ooops, you can tell I'm not the granite guy.
Mike O.

That will give them 1/4" to play with and that should be all they need. (I knew you meant either 3 cm or 30 mm, an industry standard...unlike some of the wise-asses around here, and I don't mean that in a bad way. <G>)
There is virtually zero 'feel' during a granite/quartz installation, so feel good that it isn't your problem.