How would you?

That will give them 1/4" to play with and that should be all they need. (I knew you meant either 3 cm or 30 mm, an industry standard...unlike some of the wise-asses around here, and I don't mean that in a bad way. )

There is virtually zero 'feel' during a granite/quartz installation, so feel good that it isn't your problem.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hardly newfangled, Lee. Granite veneer has been around a long time. Usually mounted on a honey-comb aluminum back, super thin stone surfaces have been around for use in elevators, vertical surfaces, but it a bit thicker than 3 mm. 1/4" to 3/8" is quite common. Smarty pants.

You see, if you 'Murkans had joined the rest of the planet in going metric, you'd also have an extra Mars lander to play with and a better understanding of mm vs cm...:-)

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm not sure - it may be because we didn't join the rest of the planet in going metric that we get to play with 'em on Mars. ;)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

to play with...that's what I meant..

Reply to
Robatoy

Was French plot to sabotage noble British exploration efforts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ooops, you can tell I'm not the granite guy.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Well, that and the fact that even if the lander in question had been fully metric throughout the same error could have occurred in the interface -- km being passed instead of m.

The real lesson from this is that there is no excuse for not performing careful systems engineering and walking through all interfaces to make sure nothing is missed.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I thought we "learned" that lesson from Hubble.

Reply to
keithw86

Or camshafts for GM's 307 engines..

Reply to
Robatoy

Mars Climate Orbiter actually. See

and no, it was NOT my fault. ;-) jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Unfortunately, it seems it be a lesson that continually has to be relearned in virtually every walk of life, technology or no...

--

Reply to
dpb

Back farther, there was the gimli glider units issue.

Scott Lurndal

rather than made heros.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I agree - and yet the only lesson we seem to learn is recognizing the previous mistakes when we make 'em again.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's a tough one. The heroism manifested itself in some incredible flying skills, and saving the lives of all aboard. However, they should have never been in that situation in the first place. They made the best of a very bad, avoidable situation. That has to account for something.

*sitting on the fence here*
Reply to
Robatoy

Frankly, Science and Engineering has been in Metric. Software engineers don't use voltmeters or galvanometers.

I want to know where the engineering management unit test was on that. Most unlikely to typical or most all software and hardware processes.

Mart> jo4hn writes:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

But the hardware (Automobiles, machine tools, etc) are/were in English and that's where the money was invested.

Not defending it, just stating reality.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

This one will 'fess up to never needing a galvanometer, but I've used a sizable number of scopes (ranging from simple 2-channel Tektronix to an ultra-fast 16-channel recording scope from HP) and fair range of voltage, current, rf-power, capacitance, (etc) meters. Would you allow substitution of a spectrum analyzer for the galvanometer?

What makes people nervous is a software engineer with a screwdriver or soldering iron in his hand... :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Some lessons are so fun, we seem to enjoy repeating them. :-(

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Depends upon what one is doing and for whom. Aerospace has some very interesting unit choices at times, including combined units, depending upon the end user and customer. For example, there are places that measure altitude in feet and ground range in meters. It's not because people are luddites, it's because that is how the end user works.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita