How wide must a scraper be?

I had a crappy aluminum block plane that I finally threw away. I used the iron as my test bed for getting the hang of sharpening.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with it now. I'm thinking about filing it flat and putting a hook on it.

Waste of time, or are small scrapers useful? Is this material too thick for a good scraper?

Reply to
Silvan

I often use an old plane iron as a scraper to remove old finishes. I don't bother to turn a burr on the iron. Its length give you good leverage. Just be careful not to rock the blade or the corners will gouge the stock.

Nova

As an added bonus, the blade no longer has corners. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Paul Prunkel

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:43:16 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

You could always file a profile into it and make a nice beader blade out of it. That means you'd have to make a nice wooden holder for it...

------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's an interesting thought. I was just looking at the LV beader tool, and I added it to my someday list. (I added up my someday list, and it's at $1600 so far, just from Lee Valley. Did I hear Robin rubbing his hands together expectantly? Too bad I only have $10 in my pocket.)

Anyway, very interesting idea.

Reply to
Silvan