How wide must a scraper be?

I had a crappy aluminum block plane that I finally threw away. I used the iron as my test bed for getting the hang of sharpening.
I've been trying to figure out what to do with it now. I'm thinking about filing it flat and putting a hook on it.
Waste of time, or are small scrapers useful? Is this material too thick for a good scraper?
Silvan wrote:

I often use an old plane iron as a scraper to remove old finishes. I don't bother to turn a burr on the iron. Its length give you good leverage. Just be careful not to rock the blade or the corners will gouge the stock.
Nova wrote:

As an added bonus, the blade no longer has corners. :)
Iv'e used a utility knife blade, both new and used , as a scraper in tight places. It's hard on the fingers.

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:43:16 -0500, Silvan

You could always file a profile into it and make a nice beader blade out of it. That means you'd have to make a nice wooden holder for it...
------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

That's an interesting thought. I was just looking at the LV beader tool, and I added it to my someday list. (I added up my someday list, and it's at $1600 so far, just from Lee Valley. Did I hear Robin rubbing his hands together expectantly? Too bad I only have $10 in my pocket.)
Anyway, very interesting idea.